The Student Room Group

Extra help from SAAS if parents have cut you off

Since moving out in September my parents have cut me off. We have always had a rocky relationship and I have come to accept that there's not much that can be done to fix this. However, this is now obviously affecting me financially. I receive no financial support from them, but because of their income receive the lowest amount of SAAS. I DO have a part time job, but feel it would be difficult for me to balance any more hours and still have time for uni/studying etc.Just for a breakdown, I receive £470 from SAAS, accommodation fees are £600 and I earn £70-100 a week. This leaves me less than £40 a week sometimes, and I am paying my phone bill, gym membership, bus pass etc on top of food and going out.It is also looking like I will not be allowed to move back home after the second semester, so will have to find other accommodation over summer, which again is going to be rather costly.I am wondering if there is a way to prove to SAAS that I am estranged from my parents, I know it is quite difficult to prove and that they don't accept most cases but any advise would be appreciated!
Reply 1
i think you have to contact them

instead of gym member ship and bus pass you could walk ? its free and is a workout :P

:console::console::hugs::hugs::love::lovie::macarena:
Reply 2
Yes I think the best thing would be to get in contact with SAAS, to try to see if you increase the amount of financial support you receive. However, in the meantime you may want to look at cutting back on your expenses, maybe go out less or cancel your gym membership and use alternatives to save money. I'm sure this isn't ideal but it may be the best option that you have while waiting to hear back from SAAS. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending