The Student Room Group

Should I write an EPQ?

I don’t know if it would take a toll
On my grades or if it’s worth doing? I plan on going into medicine.
Original post by msar
I don’t know if it would take a toll
On my grades or if it’s worth doing? I plan on going into medicine.

If you are struggling to get the grades then focus on those.
It can give you something to talk about in interview and make you more interesting. Do research your unis and check how they regard epq. If they dont think its useful then focus on the other things.
I am currently finishing my EPQ and I would say that it has been challenging for me because two of my three A Levels are coursework based. However, I would recommend it if you are not doing heavily based coursework subjects because it does have UCAS points attached to it.

Hope this helps :smile:
The odds are for a medicine course having an EPQ won't lower any entry requirements for you but it can be great to put in your personal statement to show extended interest in the subject and to discuss in an interview.

I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology in year 13 alongside EPQ and honestly it hasn't detracted from my other subjects at all really. I had a lot of my research done before college started and just spent an entire day writing a first draft to get it out of the way in the Christmas holidays. It has been interesting but the logbook is tedious and (in my college) the scheduled lessons are useless along with my supervisor.

I have enjoyed it and for me it's been worthwhile!
I'm not sure most people at my school seemed to drop it after a while, which kinda seems like a waste of time! I think it's a lot of extra stress for not a lot of reward as most universities don't seem to mind if you have one or not:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending