The Student Room Group

Nexplanon side effects

Hi! I was looking to find out other girls' opinions about Nexplanon. I have had it for almost 2 months and bloating has become the most annoying side effect. For the first 2-3 weeks I felt alright, my weight or mood did not change, I have had one week long period since. But lately the side effects have really kicked in - acne, mood swings and constant bloating to the point where some of my clothes don't fit me properly. I don't think I've actually gained weight, I just look and feel different :frown: Is there anything I can do to help the symptoms? Or should I just stick it out? If yes, how long could it take? 6 months? more? I'm honestly not sure what to do because I don't really want to switch to the pill but this is really getting annoying :/
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
I had the implant for 6 months and ended up having it removed. I put on weight (it went to my boobs, thank God), it didn't help with my mood or my periods whatsoever.

Your GP will likely expect you to stick it out for 6 months as it is meant to take up to 6 months to settle down.
Reply 3
Original post by pandoma
Hi! I was looking to find out other girls' opinions about Nexplanon. I have had it for almost 2 months and bloating has become the most annoying side effect. For the first 2-3 weeks I felt alright, my weight or mood did not change, I have had one week long period since. But lately the side effects have really kicked in - acne, mood swings and constant bloating to the point where some of my clothes don't fit me properly. I don't think I've actually gained weight, I just look and feel different :frown: Is there anything I can do to help the symptoms? Or should I just stick it out? If yes, how long could it take? 6 months? more? I'm honestly not sure what to do because I don't really want to switch to the pill but this is really getting annoying :/

It's up to you, all of it is. Unfortunately hormonal contraception can come with side effects. Some people don't get any, some people get some but they go away after a while, and some people get really bad ones that don't go away.

They do usually suggest you try it for 6 months because by then, all temporary side effects go away and if you're still getting them, then they probably will stay for the whole time. But if you really don't like how it's making you feel, they will take it out if you insist on it.
Hi I've had my implant for a while now, it's been fine my periods back to being very light slightly longer but that's better than the heavy painful periods I had on the copper coil. But all of a sudden my period came once again very light, but I've been bleeding for 4 weeks or more! No pain, hardly any blood but increases when I'm working. It's just annoying more than anything! I have had implant under 2 years, should I wait to see if it settles or should I contact my GP ? I'm 37 could it be age related ?
Original post by Hlclark85
Hi I've had my implant for a while now, it's been fine my periods back to being very light slightly longer but that's better than the heavy painful periods I had on the copper coil. But all of a sudden my period came once again very light, but I've been bleeding for 4 weeks or more! No pain, hardly any blood but increases when I'm working. It's just annoying more than anything! I have had implant under 2 years, should I wait to see if it settles or should I contact my GP ? I'm 37 could it be age related ?

I would see your GP. There may be lots of reasons for this, but if it's related to the implant, they can sometimes prescribe a pill to take alongside for a few months to settle down the bleeding.

Quick Reply

Latest