The Student Room Group

How do girls feel about accents?

I'm entering my late teenage years now (16), and 7 years ago I moved to West London from the Netherlands. My English is perfect, but of course my accent is now borderline corrupt, when I hear myself in Snapchats I honestly need an alien telegram audio decoding device to understand what I'm saying.

Thank god my accent is not too 'fresh' but I do get a lot of backhanded compliments about my appearence in contrast to my accent.

My voice is deep and husky compared to my British friends, and I do pronounce words differently sometime because Dutch is very very very different.

But what do girls think about accents?
Are they off putting?
Are they attractive?
Are they distracting?
Are they complex?

I'm genuinely interested to know.
I'm 16 too and I had this French exchange student in my class, and all the girls were fangirling over his voice so I guess yes, European languages are especially attractive.
They're cute unless it's an Indian accent. No offense (I'm indian), it's just too harsh and irritating. Oh and French accents I don't like because of the fact they seem to very arrogant about how sexy they think they/ their accent is and that is so off putting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Punjabichai93
They're cute unless it's an Indian accent. No offense (I'm indian), it's just too harsh and irritating. Oh and French accents I don't like because of the fact they seem to very arrogant about how sexy they think they/ their accent is and that is so off putting.

Haha that's so interesting that you dislike French because I thought every girl loves it. And what's wrong with Indian accents? I always thought they were so cool, but there is a certain point when an Indian guy talking becomes comedic
Reply 4
I find them sexy
Accents are annoying, because at times it's hard to understand what the person is saying, plus some accents have a real cocky tone to them - those types really get on my nerves.

EDIT: i just clocked that you were asking girls... *awkwardly sits back down and sips a glass of water*

Original post by Christopher9600
I'm entering my late teenage years now (16), and 7 years ago I moved to West London from the Netherlands. My English is perfect, but of course my accent is now borderline corrupt, when I hear myself in Snapchats I honestly need an alien telegram audio decoding device to understand what I'm saying.

Thank god my accent is not too 'fresh' but I do get a lot of backhanded compliments about my appearence in contrast to my accent.

My voice is deep and husky compared to my British friends, and I do pronounce words differently sometime because Dutch is very very very different.

But what do girls think about accents?
Are they off putting?
Are they attractive?
Are they distracting?
Are they complex?

I'm genuinely interested to know.
(edited 6 years ago)
I find accents cute :smile: They make you unique
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Accents are annoying, because at times it's hard to understand what the person is saying, plus some accents have a real cocky tone to them - those types really get on my nerves.

Do you have an accent??
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have an accent??

All the people i know say i don't. So i probs don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending