The Student Room Group

I may never see my favourite teacher again!

So, this is my first post on here, so I'm unsure of if I will actually get any replies/if anybody will actually care at all.
My favourite teacher at school, my DT teacher and robotics coach has a condition known as M.E, it means that we are all very aware that one day she may appear fine and the next, she will be off of school in bed unable to walk.
A month ago today (as of me posting this), she was sent home on the basis of illness (which is something both she and her students are used to) and has not returned since.
She has never been off of school longer than 2 weeks in the time she has been at the school and I'm really worried about her.
As she has been in contact with one of the other DT teachers, I asked her if she had any idea how she was/if she knew when she would be returning to school - as since she left, both our robotics and DT lessons have fallen apart, we have been given no cover work and we get our DT GCSE brief in July, so I'm very concerned that we have limited time to improve upon our current work.
I was told that she would not be returning until the end of the month at least.
I then spoke to the co-ordinator of Art and DT in regards to our non-existent cover work and asked him what was happening as the problem of our DT GCSE needed to be sorted out now rather than when our teacher comes back.
He told me that "In case she [doesn't come back], we have things in place for your class."
That really got my heart rate up.
In case she doesn't come back? Did he mean in case she didn't come back by the end of the month - or did he mean in case she never comes back?
I'm really worried. Mostly about my DT teacher and coach, as she must be really ill to not come in for such a long time, but also because it doesn't seem as though any other teachers want to help our class and if she doesn't come back, not only will I miss her more than words can express, but what is to happen to our DT GCSE class?
I know this may seem a silly issue of mine, but I just want some advice, especially to try and get over the fact that my favourite teacher is extremely ill and that I may never see her again, because we were very close.
Thank you, if you made it all the way to the end of this post. I appreciate you even considering my dilemma.
-L
Reply 1
umm
id speak to like ur parents or something
idk what its like to have that sort of connection with a teacher but yeah id speak to an adult
(edited 6 years ago)
Try not to worry about it too much, I'm sure she'll be back soon, and whatever happens your DT class isn't going to be abandoned - your school will sort it out or your teacher will come back and take over again.

Just to let you know, you're not alone feeling like this - I was very close to some of my teachers and was very upset when I found out last year that my favourite teacher was ill and off school for the last few months before he left (he'd been the only teacher that taught me my favourite subject for all six years I was at my school). It's certainly not silly :smile:
Not silly at all - it's very upsetting when people who you feel close to suddenly exit your life. Sadly it doesn't sound like there's much you can do. I agree that hopefully your school will work out a sensible plan to make sure your studies aren't affected :yes:

I wonder (in the event she doesn't come back) whether it'd be possible and deemed appropriate for you to write her a card in a stamped envelope and give it to your school's reception, so they could post it to her? I don't know if schools would do that... I believe my uni has done that in the past for a staff member who I feel quite attached to (she had cancer and was off for quite a while, before she started working with me. I know students sent her cards during that time).

A word of caution, even if you were able to send her a card via your school: do be careful what you write. She's probably feeling quite low about the situation and so any card to her would have to be sensitively written.

Really sorry this has happened to you: it's one of my greatest fears that the staff member I'm attached to at uni will get ill and leave without any chance to say goodbye :redface:

:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending