The Student Room Group

The Official 2018 Cambridge Offer Holders Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wildjones
I'm having an issue, and I was wondering if this is normal. I received an email on the 10th saying I'd been pooled and made an offer at Sidney Sussex for geography, but ucas track hasn't updated and I still haven't received a letter so I don't know the offer conditions. Anyone else in the same boat? Do I just wait?

Hi don't worry at all, my son has an offer for law at Sidney and he's panicking too because they haven't updated. I guess they'll do it some time before Monday.
Original post by Zacken
Pure maths (A-Level FM kind of “pure”) isn’t really pure. It’s more “methods”, so fits perfectly into the purview of an applied mathematician or physicist and (I presume) the sort of stuff they do in maths for natsci. Just throwing my two cents in.

Ah yes, indeed. I will be taking all the further pure modules offered by my exam board, so hopefully that will give me a solid foundation for further study in the natsci degree.
Reply 182
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Haha xD, yeah I suppose...

From the little compsci I know, I do actually find the theory quite interesting but I'm not such a fan of the coding element. However, as a physicist I would need to have a good grip with some programming languages (python, matlab, java). I believe basic coding skills are taught as part of the physics options, so the more theoretical side might be cool to learn.

But that being said, I would have to do a lot of catching up compared to people who have studied compsci in more depth and so I might find it hard to keep up.

Knowing some programming never hurts, given that programmers are highly in-demand at the moment and in the predictable future. If it's not your preferred subject, no need to compare yourself to CompSci students; take your time.
Original post by Muminawe
Hi don't worry at all, my son has an offer for law at Sidney and he's panicking too because they haven't updated. I guess they'll do it some time before Monday.

Not necessarily before Monday. I would hazard that nearly everyone will have Track updated by next Friday though (most by next Wednesday).
Original post by ImprobableCacti
I didn’t get pooled but I haven’t received a letter or track update yet :/

Queens' probably didn't even send the letters out until today :s-smilie:.
Original post by zpx
Knowing some programming never hurts, given that programmers are highly in-demand at the moment and in the predictable future. If it's not your preferred subject, no need to compare yourself to CompSci students; take your time.

Yes, that's true. But I wouldn't really want to end up getting a lower degree classification with compsci than if I had taken another option. Though I suppose my first year performance in one module wouldn't have much of an impact on overall degree classification. I'll think about it some more and maybe look into more programming and computer science theory if I get some spare time. Thanks for the advice!
I got mine today!
I got my ucas update today x
Original post by zeldor711
Not necessarily before Monday. I would hazard that nearly everyone will have Track updated by next Friday though (most by next Wednesday).

Yes sorry, meant after Monday 😄
Got my offer conditions A*A*AB for physNatSci in any order for maths further maths physics and chemistry, interesting how quite a few offers seem to be above standard, I feel quite lucky with mine
I got mine for maths as well! A*A*A and a 2,1 in STEP II and III
Reply 191
Original post by Katie389

Woah a 2, what college is this for? My offer is 1s in II and III
Original post by ImprobableCacti
*whispers*

If you choose CompSci, you may like it too much and want to switch..

But it’s up to you :wink:

*finishes whispering*

Hey kid, ya wanna try some semantics?
Got my offer on UCAS today - A* / A* / A on any subjects. Think that's fairly par for the course; interesting to see that they didn't require an A* on Maths or Further Maths which perhaps implies that my CSAT didn't go as poorly as I originally thought. Have other CS offer-holders recieved similar conditions? College is Trinity Hall for those who haven't seen my posts previously.
Original post by Muminawe

My offer email from Peterhouse actually mentioned that UCAS can take up to a week to update so it doesn't really matter. My UCAS took two days to update but I know people from last year whose took ten days.
Just received my offer of A*AA for English Lit which surprised me because it means I must done decently in the ELAT. So pleased to get in after such a long and hectic process.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Trinity almost certainly has a form for that. If in doubt check with Trinity to see what they require.

Thank you!
Reply 197
Original post by Katie389

Woah well done! Which college is this for? I haven't had my conditions through for Maths yet.
Original post by Brownmonster146
Thank you!

Have you received the paperwork from Trinity?

"OVERSEAS STUDENTS
We require an assurance from your parents or from other sources, supported by a letter from a banker or lawyer, that your fees and living expenses will be adequately financed for the whole of your stay in Cambridge.
You should not send such an assurance at this stage; a form for you to complete will be sent to you in May. If you are unable to provide such an assurance, it is essential that you state this when you return the form, since the College does not give sympathetic consideration to undergraduates whose assurances are dishonoured after they have come into residence. If you require financial support, you may be eligible for a Trinity College Bursary or for support from the Cambridge Trusts. You should note that these awards are strictly limited in number, that competition for them is severe, and that normally they cover only a part of the sum required. If you will need financial support from one of these sources, please complete the application forms you have been sent, which must be returned to us by the deadline of 13 February 2017. Please note that you must complete both the College and the Trusts’ forms fully and provide the supporting documentation requested in order for your application to be considered. Please return both forms to the Tutor for Admissions, Trinity College, Cambridge CB2 1TQ, to arrive by the deadline of 13 February 2017."

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/public/Tutorial/Admissions-UG/Financial%20arrangements.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lelanor
Did anyone else prepare themself so well for rejection that they can't quite process actually having an offer? I have to keep rereading the email. Since December I've been researching my second choice and not thinking about Cambridge and I was genuinely going to be fine if I got rejected. I think I need to fall back in love with Cambridge, I might watch some Jake Wright videos when I get home, as they were a big part of what made me apply. (Just to be clear, I am happy about and grateful for my offer! Just also feeling weird)

Yes. I had to persuade my college to let me apply at all. Now I am the only one who got in from my year. It feels completely unreal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending