Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImprobableCacti
Yeah but who would want to be surrounded by that many tories :wink:

Haha, Nick Clegg!
Original post by Wired_1800
Haha, Nick Clegg!

PRSOM 😂😂
Original post by marcusf.11
I know this may sound whiny and almost ungrateful but I don't intend to come off like that. Basically I've been made an offer for architecture with grades AAA at scottish advanced higher. The thing is, on the ucas tariff this is equivalent to A*A*A* at a level - (both are 56 points each, and a B at advanced higher is equivalent to a regular A at a level.) I think I already know the answer but I'm just wondering if anyone reckons I should contact the college and ask about this?

What do you want to ask?
Do you think they made a mistake?
It’s not uncommon they make an offer that’s higher than standard for various reasons.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know this may sound whiny and almost ungrateful but I don't intend to come off like that. Basically I've been made an offer for architecture with grades AAA at scottish advanced higher. The thing is, on the ucas tariff this is equivalent to A*A*A* at a level - (both are 56 points each, and a B at advanced higher is equivalent to a regular A at a level.) I think I already know the answer but I'm just wondering if anyone reckons I should contact the college and ask about this?

AAA is the typical requirement for Advanced Highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's a mistake because that's their standard offer for Scottish applicants, they don't normally make an offer any lower, often higher though. I basically just wanted to know why they do it (when it's technically harder than their a level conditions) and then maybe they could reconsider my conditions. I know that I sound really whiny and it's incredibly unlikely but I'm basically worrying that I don't meet them and feel this is a little unfair. I did know this before applying but I just feel the question would be a bit more valid now. Again, I don't want to sound arrogant by asking them about this so that's why I wanted some other opinions.

They do have experiences in assessing many applicants from Scotland. It’s not like they don’t know about Scottish qualifications. If that’s their standard offer, then obviously they think that’s what applicants need to achieve to be prepared enough for their course.
And you applied to them, knowing what their requirements are, and that’s what you got.
Sorry, but I really don’t understand why you want to ask them about the offer condition now.....

Edit:
2% of all applicants are from Scotland and I suspect most of them apply with Scottish qualifications.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2016_cycle.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)

I thought I'd come and say hi anyway but I wanted to point out that this has made me laugh so much, so thanks for brightening my day LMH. :lol: though regardless of your very entertaining use of outdated memes my uni is still better than yours
Original post by vincrows
Edit:
More than 7% of all applicants are from Scotland and I suspect most of them apply with Scottish qualifications.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2016_cycle.pdf

It's only 2% of applicants, and 1.6% of offers :wink:
Original post by Doonesbury
It's only 2% of applicants, and 1.6% of offers :wink:

Oops
Was looking at a wrong row.
Edited.
They do have experiences in assessing many applicants from Scotland. It’s not like they don’t know about Scottish qualifications. If that’s their standard offer, then obviously they think that’s what applicants need to achieve to be prepared enough for their course.
And you applied to them, knowing what their requirements are, and that’s what you got.
Sorry, but I really don’t understand why you want to ask them about the offer condition now.....

Edit:
2% of all applicants are from Scotland and I suspect most of them apply with Scottish qualifications.

Hi marcusf.11! Firstly, many congratulations on your offer. For 2017 entry, there were around 50 offers from 430 applicants. So you've done extremely well!

vincrows and Doonesbury are absolutely right.

What I wanted to add is that Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies work within an awkward, cumbersome system and also have to compare many candidates from many different educational backgrounds. You may well have been competong against broadly similar candidates but with qualifications from, say, Quebec in Canada, Turkish Cyprus, an IB from an international school in Dubai, as well as a few from England offering new A Levels. I'm afraid it's not a perfect system and these factors make the selectors job very hard. You may well feel it's unfair and that the offer conditions are daunting.

My daughter is now in her second term at Cambridge: she loves her course (a different subject) and her new friends. But she is still, I sense, extremely angry about her experience through the admissions process, not least her A Level offer grades. She decided to rant for 24 hours in January last year and has not mentioned the matter since. I'm sure this helped her right up to exam results day in August. So I really wouldn't spend valuable time and energy worrying about what you can neither control nor change.

The selection team,especially the AT and DoS at your college, chose you because they believe in your potential, your suitability for the course and because they reckon you will grow into your target offer grades and more. So do take heart from that.

My daughter now has two friends who are on the Architecture course.She says all the students are worked very hard, yet really enjoy many aspects and are a close bunch. They seem to have fun together, particularly on the group design projects.

Again, congratulations on your offer and good luck with your studies.
Original post by ParentSaraG
Hi marcusf.11! Firstly, many congratulations on your offer. For 2017 entry, there were around 50 offers from 430 applicants. So you've done extremely well!

What I wanted to add is that Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies work within an awkward, cumbersome system and also have to compare many candidates from many different educational backgrounds. You may well have been competong against broadly similar candidates but with qualifications from, say, Quebec in Canada, Turkish Cyprus, an IB from an international school in Dubai, as well as a few from England offering new A Levels. I'm afraid it's not a perfect system and these factors make the selectors job very hard. You may well feel it's unfair and that the offer conditions are daunting.

My daughter is now in her second term at Cambridge: she loves her course (a different subject) and her new friends. But she is still, I sense, extremely angry about her experience through the admissions process, not least her A Level offer grades. She decided to rant for 24 hours in January last year and has not mentioned the matter since. I'm sure this helped her right up to exam results day in August. So I really wouldn't spend valuable time and energy worrying about what you can neither control nor change.

The selection team,especially the AT and DoS at your college, chose you because they believe in your potential, your suitability for the course and because they reckon you will grow into your target offer grades and more. So do take heart from that.

My daughter now has two friends who are on the Architecture course.She says all the students are worked very hard, yet really enjoy many aspects and are a close bunch. They seem to have fun together, particularly on the group design projects.

I think you’re ‘quoting’ a wrong person......:wink:
Original post by ParentSaraG

Thanks for that! I am very fortunate and grateful for having an offer, my curiosity about the conditions kinda bled into my stress about meeting them and I suppose it came across as a bit arrogant. I totally trust that the university knows best but I suppose yourself, @Doonesbury and @vincrows have helped me realise that a bit more.
I think you’re ‘quoting’ a wrong person......:wink:

I know.

I couldn't make the thing work properly. It was 'frozen'!
Always find it funny when non-mathmos complain about their offers. :lol:
Original post by Zacken

No need to be an arse mate
Original post by Zacken

Beyond scorn and on a serious note, A Levels and some other qualifications are just not demanding enough for many top university applicants in many subject areas. Yet Cambridge DoSs and ATs need to identify the top few % of each cohort in terms of their potential, whilst ensuring that each entrant every October has a strong enough foundation of actual subject, or other relevant, knowledge. And there is context, as well, as in the candidate from a tough area, a tough school where they are pretty much on their own in terms of getting anywhere near even 3 As at A Level.

So, @Zacken, here's a little challenge for you. My daughter is in her second term of a Cambridge Arts-Humanities degree. The relevant department at her school - an underfunded state school now showing severe strain - is under financial threat and may well be closed completely in 3 to 5 years' time. If, in 5 years' time, one of her successors at that school applied for her degree, she will have to do so with no school support. Would you offer this girl A*A*A, one A* in the core degree subject? The current minimum, 'tariff' is officially A*AA , A* unspecified, but there may be very few who were actually offered this for Oct 2017 entry. What would you do? ... Last year, the one Maths offerholder was offered effectively A*A*A*A plus 1,1, in STEP II, III, which is 'standard' and fair given the strength of the school in STEM subjects, especially Maths.
Original post by Zacken

I’d really love to see how well you’d perform in non-Maths-related subjects......
Original post by Zacken

You've said that before and it's still a bit sad really.

I think many non-mathmos also know how "easy" it is for mathmos to get an offer but they understand it's harder to make that offer. It's largely swings and roundabouts. The overall success rate for mathmos is in line with the average success rate across all courses. You don't have a monopoly on "difficulty".
Original post by Doonesbury
You've said that before and it's still a bit sad really.

I think many non-mathmos also know how "easy" it is for mathmos to get an offer but they understand it's harder to make that offer. It's largely swings and roundabouts. The overall success rate for mathmos is in line with the average success rate across all courses. You don't have a monopoly on "difficulty".

Daddy Doonesbury back at it again 👅🍆👌😍😘
Does anyone know if it’s true that Cambridge match your maintenance loan as a bursary?

Context: the Queens’ SLO said this back when I was in Yr 11, I was wondering if it still holds.

@Doonesbury?
Original post by ImprobableCacti
Does anyone know if it’s true that Cambridge match your maintenance loan as a bursary?

Context: the Queens’ SLO said this back when I was in Yr 11, I was wondering if it still holds.

@Doonesbury?

This might have been the case a few years back when grants existed and student finance worked slightly differently, but it's definitely not anywhere near as generous as that now. If your household income is below a certain level then there is an automatic bursary, the details of which are here: https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary/eligibility-and-further-information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending