The Student Room Group

How do I write a good critical essay for my NAT 5 prelim

Could someone help me plan a critical essay so that I can remember how to do write it out when I am doing the actual prelim. I am doing the J.B Priestly "An Inspector Calls" this year and I just need a little guidance on how to practice writing it out, and obviously I don't know what the questions are going to be but I just need some sort of structure or anything that can help me.
Reply 1
When I did nat 5 I had the option of To Kill a Mockingbird or Inspector Calls - we did TKM first, so I didn’t even bother learning anything about IC. So I can’t help you much with the actual text, but I can give you pointers for essay writing.

If you look at N5 pastpapers, the same Qs come up over and over. For prose these were theme, key scene, character and character conflict. Plays are probably very similar. For the prelim, I memorised a theme essay and hoped it would come up ... unfortunately it didn’t, but I had just finished writing my notes for ending so I tried that one and still got sixteen. Just be careful, because its a prelim you might get some different/more specific questions than you would get in the exam.

I know teachers say not to, but I memorised seven essays for the final exam (prose):
Theme
Character (admirable)
Character who has developed
Character conflict
Ending
Key scene/turning point (this can be same essay, but I did two separate ones)

If you don’t want to memorise essays, plan the paragraphs and memorise quotes for each.
With your intro, write:

1. Play and author, question link.
2. Brief summary
3. Techniques and set out rest of essay

‘An Inspector Calls’, by ? (Can’t remember), is a play with a key scene in which../interesting theme of...
Then write one/two sentence summary of play.
‘By using techniques such as setting, characterisation, ... (whatever ones that apply) ...the key scene will be analysed and its effect explored’ or something similar.

Then do 3/4 good points
Point, Evidence, Explain, Link - PEEL

Point should be a decent topic sentence. This should sum up the whole point of the paragraph - if you don’t have time to write essays, write an intro, good topic sentences, quotes and a conclusion for each essay. Then try and flesh it out in the prelim. This will give you a good structure.

Evidence is your quote and explain is your analysis.

Link - link back to question eg. Therefore, the effective use of characterisation in scene 4 contributes to its importance.

Conclusion is basically introduction without summary.
2. Summarise points, including techniques (use topic sentences for guide)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by K8e.H
When I did nat 5 I had the option of To Kill a Mockingbird or Inspector Calls - we did TKM first, so I didn’t even bother learning anything about IC. So I can’t help you much with the actual text, but I can give you pointers for essay writing.

If you look at N5 pastpapers, the same Qs come up over and over. For prose these were theme, key scene, character and character conflict. Plays are probably very similar. For the prelim, I memorised a theme essay and hoped it would come up ... unfortunately it didn’t, but I had just finished writing my notes for ending so I tried that one and still got sixteen. Just be careful, because its a prelim you might get some different/more specific questions than you would get in the exam.

I know teachers say not to, but I memorised seven essays for the final exam (prose):
Theme
Character (admirable)
Character who has developed
Character conflict
Ending
Key scene/turning point (this can be same essay, but I did two separate ones)

If you don’t want to memorise essays, plan the paragraphs and memorise quotes for each.
With your intro, write:

2. Brief summary
3. Techniques and set out rest of essay

‘An Inspector Calls’, by ? (Can’t remember), is a play with a key scene in which../interesting theme of...
Then write one/two sentence summary of play.
‘By using techniques such as setting, characterisation, ... (whatever ones that apply) ...the key scene will be analysed and its effect explored’ or something similar.

Then do 3/4 good points
Point, Evidence, Explain, Link - PEEL

Point should be a decent topic sentence. This should sum up the whole point of the paragraph - if you don’t have time to write essays, write an intro, good topic sentences, quotes and a conclusion for each essay. Then try and flesh it out in the prelim. This will give you a good structure.

Evidence is your quote and explain is your analysis.

Link - link back to question eg. Therefore, the effective use of characterisation in scene 4 contributes to its importance.

Conclusion is basically introduction without summary.
2. Summarise points, including techniques (use topic sentences for guide)

Thank you so much for this :smile:
Reply 3
How many quotes should one use?
8 for an A grade minimum
I disagree, i got 18/20 with 5 quotes, for 4 body paragraphs..
Same with me. It’s all about the analysis and evaluation and how the chosen quote links to the question. A good essay will have well chosen quotes(quotes that have content that can be well analysed) rather than having lots of quotes with little analysis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending