The Student Room Group

Worried about Enhanced DBS check. Need honest answers

Hi, I posted this here because I want to remain anonymous.

A couple of years ago I was involved in a situation where I kept harrassing someone, sending him a number of nasty texts/messages, etc. I don't want to go in to too much detail but he told the police and I had them interview me, where I had to sign a form not to contact him again. I don't think this was a caution, just a warning from the police that any more harrassment would be taken further, but it was filed under 'Malicious Communication' and apparently will be on the police computers.

The thing is, I've now finished my Masters and am applying for jobs in schools and colleges, nearly all of them requiring enhanced DBS checks. I am really worried that this incident will show on an enhanced DBS check. The internet isn't giving me any conclusive answers, some are saying that warnings and cautions don't show up, some are saying that only 'relevant' ones show up, and others are saying that everything, including verbal warnings, show up.

Personally I wouldn't want to employ someone if they had a record under 'Malicious Communication'. I've even heard that employers actually give you the job offer BEFORE conducting the DBS check. I don't want to be in a position where I think I've landed a job, only for them to tell me that they had second thoughts because of my DBS.

I'm so scared and depressed that my future is now ruined because of this one horrible mistake I made and will never do again.

Any advice/answers?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a police caution for criminal damage as when I was drunk one evening and thought it'd be funny to write my name the door of a pub. I worked at Alton Towers Hotel where they conducted an enhanced DBS check as I worked with Children. It does show up, but as long as its a spent conviction you're okay. The caution was your punishment and a caution isn't enough to stop you working with children. A driving offence would be classed as a more serious crime than a simple caution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending