The Student Room Group

18 and still single.

I know there has been a lot of posts about this subject matter. I'm an 18 year old man, and I've never had a girlfriend in my life. I haven't even been laid. I feel that it is best to find true love rather than being in a relationship just for the hell of it. However, sometimes when I look at couples together, I just don't feel as if it's normal for me to be 18 and still single.
Original post by Anonymous
I know there has been a lot of posts about this subject matter. I'm an 18 year old man, and I've never had a girlfriend in my life. I haven't even been laid. I feel that it is best to find true love rather than being in a relationship just for the hell of it. However, sometimes when I look at couples together, I just don't feel as if it's normal for me to be 18 and still single.

Lol I'm 22 and single, so don't worry too much about it. You're going to university soon anyways so you'll meet a lot of girls there.

It's perfectly normal...
There's been loads of posts on this. I can see why but all in all, its not necessary and it is not abnormal to be in your position.
It is best to focus on oneself in order to be the best you can be before searching for a potential partner. Distract yourself with your hobbies, studies, interests and try not to think too much into others' lives. For they are not that of your own and hardly comparable.
It is definitely best to wait until you find someone you truly adore than to just get any girl.
Hope you are ok :hugs:
Reply 3
Lol I'm 22 and single, so don't worry too much about it. You're going to university soon anyways so you'll meet a lot of girls there.

If you don't mind me asking, have you had a boyfriend/girlfriend before?
Well I'm a 17 yo male with the same kinda history, so i kinda know how it feels :biggrin:

IMO, It's completely normal to not have had a girlfriend by 18. In fact, most of my mates who have had a girlfriend have just found themselves worse off after the relationship anyway, so waiting til you find 'the one' may be the right idea(don't really believe in that stuff myself but hey: you do you). Being a virgin ain't an issue either, most people shouldn't really care about that kinda thing anyway.

In the end, it's your own opinion that matters, just don't force yourself into sex or a relationship just because you don't think it's normal to not have been in one yet. The world is full of people regretting that decision.
Reply 5
I was 23 when I got my first girlfriend.

Being single at 18 is very normal,.
20 single dgaf :biggrin:
better stuff to do imo :smile:
enjoy life and dont let the lack of a significant other stop you from achieving your goals :ahee:
What do you define as normal?

If you've never had a gf, then perhaps you've never decided to ask a girl out? If desperate, download a dating app (Tinder etc). As for "True love" - That is rarely found at this age...Especially since most aren't looking for long term. No harm in exploring the possibility though. (If you have asked someone out but faced rejection or been "friend zoned" perhaps you should focus on yourself and figure out why that is).

If you're going to uni or at uni - That's a good place to find someone potentially but again a better time would be post uni, when people are more settled and enter the adult life of work etc. As people would be more inclined to seek out a long term relationship and settle down.

Do ask yourself: Why do you really want a girlfriend?
Reply 8
I'm almost 21 and never been in a relationship before. So what? Does that make you more valuable? Just enjoy whatever is happening in your life now and don't sweat it. Or ya know, get tinder or smth.
If you don't mind me asking, have you had a boyfriend/girlfriend before?

No, I haven't been in relationship before, but I have been on dates etc.
Reply 10
Totally understand. I’m 18, I’ve had at least 1 date, didn’t really go as planned.. I thought it was my fault, a little socially awkward, because it was my first date ever. I thought I liked the guy, because originally we were close friends. Turns out after we left junior high, and were separated at high school, he had asked me to be his girlfriend, but we couldn’t call, couldn’t go out together, and he didn’t seem fond of the idea of being seen with me… so I’ve been saying I’ve never found love, because clearly, it wasn’t. Still, I wish the best for you, hope someone steals your heart, and not just for the intimate moments but also for the genuine moments too. Anyways, wish you the best!
Reply 11
Original post by Legendary_Shpee
Well I'm a 17 yo male with the same kinda history, so i kinda know how it feels :biggrin:

IMO, It's completely normal to not have had a girlfriend by 18. In fact, most of my mates who have had a girlfriend have just found themselves worse off after the relationship anyway, so waiting til you find 'the one' may be the right idea(don't really believe in that stuff myself but hey: you do you). Being a virgin ain't an issue either, most people shouldn't really care about that kinda thing anyway.

In the end, it's your own opinion that matters, just don't force yourself into sex or a relationship just because you don't think it's normal to not have been in one yet. The world is full of people regretting that decision.

Whole heartedly agree, you should never force something just to say that you’ve experienced it, it has to mean something if you want it. In other words, don’t jump into something for the hell of it, 1.) it doesn’t change the way you feel. 2.) it can actually make a situation worse that what it already was.
Reply 12
Totally understand. I’m 18, I’ve had at least 1 date, didn’t really go as planned.. I thought it was my fault, a little socially awkward, because it was my first date ever. I thought I liked the guy, because originally we were close friends. Turns out after we left junior high, and were separated at high school, he had asked me to be his girlfriend, but we couldn’t call, couldn’t go out together, and he didn’t seem fond of the idea of being seen with me… so I’ve been saying I’ve never found love, because clearly, it wasn’t. Still, I wish the best for you, hope someone steals your heart, and not just for the intimate moments but also for the genuine moments too. Anyways, wish you the best!

Latest

Trending

Trending