I'm not religious but I could be working in a Jewish Summer Camp!

Watch
SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm going to America this summer to work at a summer camp as a lifeguard.

I'm currently on review with a camp, turns out it's a Jewish summer camp, part of it's practices are based off of the religion.

What do you think of a non-jewish, non-religious person going to work at a religious camp?
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
I'm going to America this summer to work at a summer camp as a lifeguard.

I'm currently on review with a camp, turns out it's a Jewish summer camp, part of it's practices are based off of the religion.

What do you think of a non-jewish, non-religious person going to work at a religious camp?
Is this with Camp America? I am fairly sure other people who are non-religious have worked at a jewish camp before.
SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Is this with Camp America? I am fairly sure other people who are non-religious have worked at a jewish camp before.
It's through Camp Leaders, I know that it's not only for Jewish people,
It's just this camp seems to take it quite seriously;
Friday - Kabbalah Shabbat, Shabbat Services.
Saturday - Shabbat Services, Sing, Havdalah.

I'm just wondering what to expect, I don't know anything about or anyone who is Jewish.
So I don't know what to expect.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
It's through Camp Leaders, I know that it's not only for Jewish people,
It's just this camp seems to take it quite seriously;
Friday - Kabbalah Shabbat, Shabbat Services.
Saturday - Shabbat Services, Sing, Havdalah.

I'm just wondering what to expect, I don't know anything about or anyone who is Jewish.
So I don't know what to expect.
Guess you may be expected to be part of the religious things they do.
SeaScape
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

This past summer I worked at a Jewish Summer camp (I too am not Jewish).
In my first session I attended the services. You are expected to attend for the campers sake but they appreciated that most of the international staff were not Jewish. My camp was based on Jewish values as opposed to the actual religion.
On Friday night and Saturday you will be expected to wear all white I would suspect.
In my second session my day off changed so that it fell over Friday night to Saturday. This was a coincidence but I think that they appreciate that international staff are less involved in the religious ceremonies at camp.

My suggestion to you would be to embrace it. The camp that is looking at you know that you aren’t Jewish but they still want to hire you. Take it in your stride and try to learn a little bit about the religion before you go. You won’t be the only one there!

Another point. Don’t lie to the kids; they can know that you aren’t Jewish and will be interested to know about your culture.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (112)
40.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (62)
22.55%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.64%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise