The Student Room Group

I'm not religious but I could be working in a Jewish Summer Camp!

I'm going to America this summer to work at a summer camp as a lifeguard.

I'm currently on review with a camp, turns out it's a Jewish summer camp, part of it's practices are based off of the religion.

What do you think of a non-jewish, non-religious person going to work at a religious camp?
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
I'm going to America this summer to work at a summer camp as a lifeguard.

I'm currently on review with a camp, turns out it's a Jewish summer camp, part of it's practices are based off of the religion.

What do you think of a non-jewish, non-religious person going to work at a religious camp?

Is this with Camp America? I am fairly sure other people who are non-religious have worked at a jewish camp before.
Original post by Rock Fan
Is this with Camp America? I am fairly sure other people who are non-religious have worked at a jewish camp before.

It's through Camp Leaders, I know that it's not only for Jewish people,
It's just this camp seems to take it quite seriously;
Friday - Kabbalah Shabbat, Shabbat Services.
Saturday - Shabbat Services, Sing, Havdalah.

I'm just wondering what to expect, I don't know anything about or anyone who is Jewish.
So I don't know what to expect.
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
It's through Camp Leaders, I know that it's not only for Jewish people,
It's just this camp seems to take it quite seriously;
Friday - Kabbalah Shabbat, Shabbat Services.
Saturday - Shabbat Services, Sing, Havdalah.

I'm just wondering what to expect, I don't know anything about or anyone who is Jewish.
So I don't know what to expect.

Guess you may be expected to be part of the religious things they do.
Reply 4
Hi,

This past summer I worked at a Jewish Summer camp (I too am not Jewish).
In my first session I attended the services. You are expected to attend for the campers sake but they appreciated that most of the international staff were not Jewish. My camp was based on Jewish values as opposed to the actual religion.
On Friday night and Saturday you will be expected to wear all white I would suspect.
In my second session my day off changed so that it fell over Friday night to Saturday. This was a coincidence but I think that they appreciate that international staff are less involved in the religious ceremonies at camp.

My suggestion to you would be to embrace it. The camp that is looking at you know that you aren’t Jewish but they still want to hire you. Take it in your stride and try to learn a little bit about the religion before you go. You won’t be the only one there!

Another point. Don’t lie to the kids; they can know that you aren’t Jewish and will be interested to know about your culture.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending