The Student Room Group

Should I transfer university? Any second year transfers who can give advice?

I'm having such a dilemma! I'm in my first year of university and have really struggled to settle in, the actual uni and course itself are ok but I don't like the city I'm in and haven't made many friends.
I'm struggling to decide whether to transfer to my home city uni which isn't a bad uni and I know I'll feel more comfortable there with having friends already at the uni and my boyfriend there. Either I transfer, or start a whole new course from first year at another uni. I feel like I need a fresh start but is it difficult starting at uni in second year? Is there anyone that's done this and made friends and happy with their decision? Any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by romyxo
I'm having such a dilemma! I'm in my first year of university and have really struggled to settle in, the actual uni and course itself are ok but I don't like the city I'm in and haven't made many friends.
I'm struggling to decide whether to transfer to my home city uni which isn't a bad uni and I know I'll feel more comfortable there with having friends already at the uni and my boyfriend there. Either I transfer, or start a whole new course from first year at another uni. I feel like I need a fresh start but is it difficult starting at uni in second year? Is there anyone that's done this and made friends and happy with their decision? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you do a transfer then you have to find a uni that will accept you.
You also have the fact that friendship groups will already have formed, so you need to be a bit confident to break in.
If you are going to study a course, then doing one that is ok rather than one your really want to do seems a poor deal.
See if you can make things better where you are and if it looks more of the same, then at the same time you na be applying elsewhere either for a transfer or a new course. You culd even take a gap till you decide. Imo do it in the first year as by second year then your funding could have dried up..

Just be realistic and make the best choice for you.
Original post by romyxo

I stressed for ages about whether transferring was a good idea for me and eventually decided to at least apply and see how I feel or if I even get an offer. Today I finally received an offer to transfer straight into second year and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I still have to work hard as it's conditional on whether I achieve a 2:1, but things are definitely looking up.

My advice to you would be to talk to your tutor/student advice as they can offer much more specific info about the whole process, but honestly just think about whether you can see yourself staying there for 2 more years and if the answers no, maybe transferring would be the right thing for you to do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lillypad1
I stressed for ages about whether transferring was a good idea for me and eventually decided to at least apply and see how I feel or if I even get an offer. Today I finally received an offer to transfer straight into second year and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I still have to work hard as it's conditional on whether I achieve a 2:1, but things are definitely looking up.

My advice to you would be to talk to your tutor/student advice as they can offer much more specific info about the whole process, but honestly just think about whether you can see yourself staying there for 2 more years and if the answers no, maybe transferring would be the right thing for you to do :smile:

Thanks for the reply!!! are you worried about starting at the new uni in second year? my only worry would be struggling to make friends as friendship groups have already been made, do you think you’ll go into halls or live somewhere else ?? I’m looking round a different uni open day on Sunday, hoping that’ll help me make a decision as I really can’t see myself staying where I am for another two years x
Original post by romyxo
Thanks for the reply!!! are you worried about starting at the new uni in second year? my only worry would be struggling to make friends as friendship groups have already been made, do you think you’ll go into halls or live somewhere else ?? I’m looking round a different uni open day on Sunday, hoping that’ll help me make a decision as I really can’t see myself staying where I am for another two years x

Yes I'm very nervous but I'm sure I'll make friends through societies, flatmates and hopefully through my course! And yes I'm planning on living in halls x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending