The Student Room Group

Student finance ni

I am an northern ireland student planning to study in england. I have checked, why do i get less from student finance northern ireland when i plan to study in england outside london (maximum £4,840) yet students in england studying in england using student finance england can get up to £8,200?
Original post by Smcelwee827
I am an northern ireland student planning to study in england. I have checked, why do i get less from student finance northern ireland when i plan to study in england outside london (maximum £4,840) yet students in england studying in england using student finance england can get up to £8,200?

Hi Smcelwee827,

That's definitely an interesting question but unfortunately I'm not the best person to answer. It may be worthwhile asking here, there should other members there that have more advice on SFNI funding.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by Smcelwee827

It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm English but been living in NI for 3 years and now I figure that I might not even be able to go to uni because the loans( we have to pay back) barely would cover the cheapest of rooms let alone student accomodation.

Just here hoping someone will send some answers
Original post by mojosandwich
It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm English but been living in NI for 3 years and now I figure that I might not even be able to go to uni because the loans( we have to pay back) barely would cover the cheapest of rooms let alone student accomodation.

Just here hoping someone will send some answers

I was wondering the exact same thing. I thought the point of student loans was to make university accessible to everyone regardless of your background but the fact English students get almost double the amount of finance compared to northern Irish students makes me question if I would be able to afford to move to England for uni.
English students in London get 11k
Original post by chemnerd4life
I was wondering the exact same thing. I thought the point of student loans was to make university accessible to everyone regardless of your background but the fact English students get almost double the amount of finance compared to northern Irish students makes me question if I would be able to afford to move to England for uni.

Hi Chemnerd4life,

With SFE, the amount of £8700 is the maximum Maintenance Loan. £4054 of the is non-income assessed and there's a further £4646 available but this amount will be assessed on a sliding scale depending on household income.

With SFNI, There is a Maintenance Loan of £4840 available, however, there's also a Maintenance Grant available of up to £3475 (based on household income). If you apply for the Maintenance Loan and Grant, the amount of Maintenance Grant you receive will effect how much Maintenance Loan you receive, this is to decrease your overall repayments balance when you've left studies.

For example, if you apply for Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant, and your household income is below the threshold, your entitlement should look like this:

Maintenance Grant- £3475.

Maintenance Loan- £2963 (50% of the Maintenance Grant amount is taken from the Maintenance Loan, meaning that £1877 is taken off the original £4840 Maintenance Loan).

This is just to make you aware that there is a bit more finance available on top of the the Maintenance Loan.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Chemnerd4life,

With SFE, the amount of £8700 is the maximum Maintenance Loan. £4054 of the is non-income assessed and there's a further £4646 available but this amount will be assessed on a sliding scale depending on household income.

With SFNI, There is a Maintenance Loan of £4840 available, however, there's also a Maintenance Grant available of up to £3475 (based on household income). If you apply for the Maintenance Loan and Grant, the amount of Maintenance Grant you receive will effect how much Maintenance Loan you receive, this is to decrease your overall repayments balance when you've left studies.

For example, if you apply for Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant, and your household income is below the threshold, your entitlement should look like this:

Maintenance Grant- £3475.

Maintenance Loan- £2963 (50% of the Maintenance Grant amount is taken from the Maintenance Loan, meaning that £1877 is taken off the original £4840 Maintenance Loan).

This is just to make you aware that there is a bit more finance available on top of the the Maintenance Loan.

Kind regards,

John.

Honestly that disgusts me. Surely poorer students (i.e. the ones who will be getting the most amount of maintenance grant) are the ones who need that extra help from the maintenance loan?? I'm in the lowest household income bracket and have just discovered that my loan AND grant won't even cover the cost of accommodation at Durham.
Original post by marinafinn
Honestly that disgusts me. Surely poorer students (i.e. the ones who will be getting the most amount of maintenance grant) are the ones who need that extra help from the maintenance loan?? I'm in the lowest household income bracket and have just discovered that my loan AND grant won't even cover the cost of accommodation at Durham.

Please dont bump 2 year old threads
Original post by marinafinn

no uni for u, or live on the streets
Original post by niteninja1
Please dont bump 2 year old threads

I mean it clearly still applies mate, student finance is a yearly issue and I'm trying to get help lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending