The Student Room Group

Crashing highers in S6

My daughter is going into S6 this year,she sits her highers in may, math,English,physics,Spanish,history. She is wanting to do advance higher history in s6 and crash higher sociology,modern studies and human biology,is this achievable? Her grades are good but she has no idea what career she wants hence her subject choices.
Reply 1
cant speak for sociology but modern studies is definitely achievable, human biology i honestly doubt it unless shes v clever
Moved to the Scottish Qualifications forum.:smile:

Don't really know enough to give advice on this, but I hope your daughter smashes it.:biggrin:
Original post by 2601
My daughter is going into S6 this year,she sits her highers in may, math,English,physics,Spanish,history. She is wanting to do advance higher history in s6 and crash higher sociology,modern studies and human biology,is this achievable? Her grades are good but she has no idea what career she wants hence her subject choices.

three highers and one advanced higher in s6 is definitely achievable, i have plenty of friends who do that, and biology is mainly memorising and interpreting data, it's great!
Reply 4
3 crash highers will be tough. I guess there are a lot of transferable skills from History that can be applied in Sociology and Modern Studies, but Human Biology is gonna be very demanding without any background in biology. Maybe read up on some N5 Biology before doing it?

But don't let the challenge put her off :h: I'm doing 2 crash highers this year and they are pretty tough, but hard work will pay off.
Original post by 2601

As others have said, doing so many crash highers might be quite challenging (definitely possible, but it will probably not be a 6th year where she can just coast along). Whether it's achievable or not depends (in my opinion) on her work ethic, and what else she's got on. If she's not sure what she'd like to do, she may be better off doing 3 of those subjects and spending time volunteering/doing work experience. In terms of keeping options open subject wise, her S5 subjects are varied, and she will be able to get into most uni courses with those subjects (at the right grades), so I would suggest not to be overly worried on that front.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending