The Student Room Group

Missed two deadlines; will I fail my first year of uni?

Due to bad time management which is entirely my fault I had missed two deadlines. I handed them in for late submission but my uni has a policy of which i didn't look into which states if its handed in seven days after a deadline it will not be marked and be recorded as a non submission. I have only been made aware of this as flicking through my course handbook it is not stated but it rings a bell as it was probably mentioned during the first week.
I am in my first year of a Law degree and both pieces of coursework were worth 30% with an exam taking place at the end of the year which is worth 70%. So if my maths is correct I need to achieve 58% on the two exams which are are in three months of which I have already started preparing for.
Just need a little bit of advice in on whether it is attainable or not. I'm mediocre at exams but if I prepare properly I'm able to preform well.
Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated :smile:
I don't know if its the case for law, but I'm pretty sure for most courses 1st year of uni they only require 40% to go to second year. They want you to pass anyway, often you have a chance to resit as well.
Just revise a lot and next year don't make the same mistakes
Original post by AzureCeleste
I don't know if its the case for law, but I'm pretty sure for most courses 1st year of uni they only require 40% to go to second year. They want you to pass anyway, often you have a chance to resit as well.
Just revise a lot and next year don't make the same mistakes

Yes, it is only 40% to pass. Im just working myself into a bit of bother as to whether 58% in two exams is unattainable or not.
Original post by LilyMcCarthy96
Due to bad time management which is entirely my fault I had missed two deadlines. I handed them in for late submission but my uni has a policy of which i didn't look into which states if its handed in seven days after a deadline it will not be marked and be recorded as a non submission. I have only been made aware of this as flicking through my course handbook it is not stated but it rings a bell as it was probably mentioned during the first week.
I am in my first year of a Law degree and both pieces of coursework were worth 30% with an exam taking place at the end of the year which is worth 70%. So if my maths is correct I need to achieve 58% on the two exams which are are in three months of which I have already started preparing for.
Just need a little bit of advice in on whether it is attainable or not. I'm mediocre at exams but if I prepare properly I'm able to preform well.

Can you compensate for a coursework fail with exam performance? At many unis, you need a pass in both exams and coursework to pass the module. However, there will usually be an opportunity to retake anything you've failed. I would check your course handbook again, and if it is really unclear then contact a tutor for advice.
Yes, it is only 40% to pass. Im just working myself into a bit of bother as to whether 58% in two exams is unattainable or not.

Ah right, that makes more sense. I think it'd be possible, just ensure you know everything well. If you truly want to stay then you yourself will put in the effort to ensure you get in
Reply 5

Just so you know if you wish to practice law you will have to record your first year results on all your vac scheme, TC applications and for most paralegal jobs.

I don't want to scare you but you do need to be aware of that. I know some people who dropped out and started again. Not saying that's what you should do but please be aware that first year grades are looked at by law firms.
Original post by Annoyn
Just so you know if you wish to practice law you will have to record your first year results on all your vac scheme, TC applications and for most paralegal jobs.

I don't want to scare you but you do need to be aware of that. I know some people who dropped out and started again. Not saying that's what you should do but please be aware that first year grades are looked at by law firms.

I'm doing a Law with Business course and I am probably most likely to go into investment banking or some form of analyst job and I talked to my tutor about dropping out then returning for next year but she said it would be unlikely for this university and I really don't want to go anywhere else. So I think I'll have to take my bets and worst comes to worst I know I can resist one unit next year but hopefully I'll get the 58% in the exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending