The Student Room Group

Two gaps years??

I am thinking about leaving my university and taking a year out next year for personal reasons. This means that by the time I return to university, I will be 20, and I am worried that this will affect my experience of 'uni life' and making friends in halls. Has anyone else taken more than a year out before going to uni, and what was your experience? Were you able to fit in easily or did you feel older than everyone else? Or maybe its normal to start university at that age??
I never took a gap year, but in terms of the age issue, it isn't really a problem. A lot of students start later, whether in their twenties or thirties or later! In my degree there was a 50 year old student. As you are only 20, it isn't a really big age gap, so you shouldn't have a huge problem making friends and settling in. There are lots of people who don't start uni at 18, so you won't be the only one!
Original post by agnessmith
I am thinking about leaving my university and taking a year out next year for personal reasons. This means that by the time I return to university, I will be 20, and I am worried that this will affect my experience of 'uni life' and making friends in halls. Has anyone else taken more than a year out before going to uni, and what was your experience? Were you able to fit in easily or did you feel older than everyone else? Or maybe its normal to start university at that age??

Took two gap years myself (one actual one and a throwaway year at another uni), fit in just fine. You're pretty indistinguishable from everyone else who is18-20..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by agnessmith

In my experience, you'll be fine!

Lots of people on my course and in my halls actually took one or two gap years. Age isn't really a big deal when you get here, especially since you're still only 20.

My best friend at uni is the same age as me (20), and he's in first year now while I'm in third. You meet new people in all sorts of places, from all sorts of places and with all sorts of backgrounds, 2 years isn't going to change anyone's impression of you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending