The Student Room Group

is it better to go to a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FutureHistorian
The amount of jobs that ask for Russell Group graduates is amazing. Other graduates won't even be considered.

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs?keywords=russell%20group%20graduate

Most of those jobs seem to be from the same company? And some of those job descriptions say "RG/Top 30". And an awful lot of them seem to be for recruiters, who will try and use the RG marketing thing to "sell" you to an employer.

And the final point: Your search returned 178 jobs from that site. They currently have 279,574 active job posts. So 178/279,574 = 0.067% (rounding up) of jobs on that website are asking from a RG uni degree. The actual number is likely lower than that, because as I said there are duplicate posts for the same job from the same company.

Respectfully, that number is only "amazing" if you meant "amazing how few jobs actually ask for a RG uni degree".
Original post by Dominoes
one grad scheme i applied for said 'ideally be a russel group graduate'.

I was gonna say; there's so many ads asking for "top 20/10 university graduates". Predominant in business/finance
one grad scheme i applied for said 'ideally be a russel group graduate'.

You should have rejected them for not being able to spell Russell.
Reply 23
The amount of jobs that ask for Russell Group graduates is amazing. Other graduates won't even be considered.

178 out of 280,304. Amazing.

Original post by Kyber Ninja
I was gonna say; there's so many ads asking for "top 20/10 university graduates". Predominant in business/finance

Define "top 20" :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by jestersnow
Most of those jobs seem to be from the same company? And some of those job descriptions say "RG/Top 30". And an awful lot of them seem to be for recruiters, who will try and use the RG marketing thing to "sell" you to an employer.

And the final point: Your search returned 178 jobs from that site. They currently have 279,574 active job posts. So 178/279,574 = 0.067% (rounding up) of jobs on that website are asking from a RG uni degree. The actual number is likely lower than that, because as I said there are duplicate posts for the same job from the same company.

Respectfully, that number is only "amazing" if you meant "amazing how few jobs actually ask for a RG uni degree".

They are doing it with "Oxbridge" too - same agency:
https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs?keywords=oxbridge%20graduate
Original post by Doonesbury

Define "top 20" :wink:

I can't; I'm as curious as you on how they define after the obvious unis.
Reply 26
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I can't; I'm as curious as you on how they define after the obvious unis.

Exactly. The definition is probably simply one the interviewer thinks particularly favourably about (and is either their alma mater, or where their clever friends went to 15 years ago) - which is why it's a crap way to filter applicants.

Sounds like someone didn't get into a Russell Group!
who will try and use the RG marketing thing to "sell" you to an employer..

It may also be an attempt to 'hook' potential applications/graduates by making their jobs sound more exclusive than they actually are.

What a mature response. I/ Donnesbury simply pointed out that the argument you were attempting to make didn't really stack up very well, and you come back with an ad hominem response.

And before you say it, Masters degree from Queens University Belfast. If that really matters to you (which I believe it should not).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30

So a non-RGer would have the pick of 99.94% of vacancies currently on Reed. Such a limitation (even assuming those other roles really are as "exclusive" as they are pretending to be).
Exactly. The definition is probably simply one the interviewer thinks particularly favourably about (and is either their alma mater, or where their clever friends went to 15 years ago) - which is why it's a crap way to filter applicants.

The issue is that recruitment is mostly discretionary and independent judgement. If they don't discriminate against your uni, they might discriminate against you because you didn't hold a conversation with the receptionist for more than 5 seconds. Your best bet, regardless of uni or your social skills, is to give a few of the Hail Marys and hope for the job.
It doesn't exactly automatically mean better teaching quality, if that's what you mean. I go to Cardiff and frankly, I'm embarrassed at how bad it's been.
(edited 6 years ago)

178 jobs out of 280,000+ is amazing, you are absolutely right.

The amount of stupidity on this site, jeez.
It depends what you intend to do with your degree. If you are looking to go into a very competitive (Law for example) I would imagine the university you attended carries some significance. That being said, I have a family friend who runs a medium sized Law firm with a 2:2 from a mediocre university. I was told during an interview for a private school when I was considering Law that the reputation and prestige mattered.

People seem to have conflicting opinions.
Depends on the subject tbh. I want to go to Bath which isn't RG but it's rated 2nd/1st best for psychology in 2018 which is what I want to study, therefore I'd go for that over a RG uni.
Original post by ageshallnot
You should have rejected them for not being able to spell Russell.

nah direct quote they couldnt spell it
nah direct quote they couldnt spell it

Exactly!
Reply 38
Why do you think University reputation is more useful at undergraduate level?? Durham has a great overall rep, but has a pretty so-so and small computer science school. The undergrad degree isn't suppose to be particularly good. So why would a student favour the overall university reputation just to get a sub-optimal learning experience? That makes no sense to me.

As a mature student who has worked in the tech sector for over a decade.... No one outside of academia cares where you went to university generally. Not just in tech, but in pretty much most industries. The only time this seems important is when university marketing departments are trying to attract new students. That's all uni rep is for most places: marketing.

Yep.

Anecdotally, for me at the moment everyone is more interested at who my supervisor is and who is gonna examine my thesis. Nobody gives a hoot about the actual institution.
Original post by username3650628

I never would have thought that teaching is a snobby profession. But the first page of that job list really blows my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending