The Student Room Group

Transferring University (After 1st year)

I currently am studying Forensic Psychology at Staffordshire University, however due to my current circumstances the commute is getting too much and the university is not what i was expecting after visiting many of the open days.

A university nearer to home has just began doing my course, (one which I would have selected had this university been doing the course at the time of my application), which i would prefer to transfer to for my second year of study.

As I am going into second year and the new university is only starting the course coming September 2018, I would have to take a gap year in order to continue on the course in September 2019 starting second year.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever took a gap year after their first year of studying and how the process works.

Original post by JW26
I currently am studying Forensic Psychology at Staffordshire University, however due to my current circumstances the commute is getting too much and the university is not what i was expecting after visiting many of the open days.

A university nearer to home has just began doing my course, (one which I would have selected had this university been doing the course at the time of my application), which i would prefer to transfer to for my second year of study.

As I am going into second year and the new university is only starting the course coming September 2018, I would have to take a gap year in order to continue on the course in September 2019 starting second year.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever took a gap year after their first year of studying and how the process works.

Just contact the new uni and ask them if they will take you.
They consider your whole application, which you do through UCAS again.

If they accept you, then you decide whether to complete year 2 anyway or just stop and take a gap.

You will have to formally leave your uni plus sort out sfe and your accommodation. Check you have sufficient funding left.

If you have left then you have the rest of the year to yourself and can either get a job for money or more experience. the procedure for leaving should be on the website or in your student handbook. Its up to you whether you discuss it with your department, but you might need a reference etc. Commuting sounds a sensible reason and they can write you a reference.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Just contact the new uni and ask them if they will take you.
They consider your whole application, which you do through UCAS again.

If they accept you, then you decide whether to complete year 2 anyway or just stop and take a gap.

You will have to formally leave your uni plus sort out sfe and your accommodation. Check you have sufficient funding left.

If you have left then you have the rest of the year to yourself and can either get a job for money or more experience. the procedure for leaving should be on the website or in your student handbook. Its up to you whether you discuss it with your department, but you might need a reference etc. Commuting sounds a sensible reason and they can write you a reference.

Thanks for the reply! I will look into the procedures and stuff etc. my mom and dad are concerned about me taking an extra 9K to fund my additional year at university... however I am more looking towards giving my full dedication too the degree.
Original post by JW26
Thanks for the reply! I will look into the procedures and stuff etc. my mom and dad are concerned about me taking an extra 9K to fund my additional year at university... however I am more looking towards giving my full dedication too the degree.

tell them its not like real debt and 70% of students never pay it off plus its written off after 30 years. You can also point out you save the train fare and will be happier plus will probably get a better degree grade as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending