The Student Room Group

University advice- rejected from Oxford and Durham.

Hi, I sent off my UCAS application to study history in early October. I applied to study history at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Warwick and Birmingham. I’m predicted 3A*s at A-level and got 9A*s at GCSE. I’ve now been rejected from both Oxford and Durham. Oxford said that they were very impressed by my interview but because of my HAT test score they didn’t want to take me. Durham haven’t given me feedback yet though I have asked. I don’t know what to do next year now, I’m not in love at all with any of my remaining choices, I’ve received offers from the other three. But I’m not sure I want to go to any of them. Should I reapply next year? Is it worth the risk? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and reapplied and have got any useful advice? I’m not sure if I would better off just going to Birmingham for example this year. Thank you!
If you're not mad about going to any of your other choices don't go just because your other options have fallen through. Just reapply next year
Original post by Historynerd101
Hi, I sent off my UCAS application to study history in early October. I applied to study history at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Warwick and Birmingham. I’m predicted 3A*s at A-level and got 9A*s at GCSE. I’ve now been rejected from both Oxford and Durham. Oxford said that they were very impressed by my interview but because of my HAT test score they didn’t want to take me. Durham haven’t given me feedback yet though I have asked. I don’t know what to do next year now, I’m not in love at all with any of my remaining choices, I’ve received offers from the other three. But I’m not sure I want to go to any of them. Should I reapply next year? Is it worth the risk? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and reapplied and have got any useful advice? I’m not sure if I would better off just going to Birmingham for example this year. Thank you!

Wait for the feedback from Durham and then decide. If there are practical and realistic things you can do to improve your application and reapply then yes it's worth it. If not then do the year elsewhere and then try and transfer
Reply 3
Hello,

I just wanted to post to say that I am in the exact same position as you, having been rejected by Oxford and Durham for History with the same academic record as you. Can I ask what you are thinking of doing? As I am really losing motivation and am unsure about what to do next year!
I am gonna be in the same position in a few days. Rejected for maths at Imperial and Oxford :frown: with similar predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending