The Student Room Group

Unsure of my future...

So hey all, im gonna keep this brief because i am on my study break...
So I am in Yr11 and being in year 11 has started to make me think deeply about my future. I have always wanted to be a doctor and this year is when i decided that yes i am going to study medicine and be the best doctor i can be however there is many other things that i want to study like philosophy, law, religion, etc... And idk what to do because i want to do everything 😭
This leads to my A-Level options, so i picked chemistry, biology, english literature as a-levels hoping it would give me enough space for other subjects but idk i just hate not knowing or having an idea of my future. 🤷🏾*♀️
Original post by imanwarsamee
So hey all, im gonna keep this brief because i am on my study break...
So I am in Yr11 and being in year 11 has started to make me think deeply about my future. I have always wanted to be a doctor and this year is when i decided that yes i am going to study medicine and be the best doctor i can be however there is many other things that i want to study like philosophy, law, religion, etc... And idk what to do because i want to do everything 😭
This leads to my A-Level options, so i picked chemistry, biology, english literature as a-levels hoping it would give me enough space for other subjects but idk i just hate not knowing or having an idea of my future. 🤷🏾*♀️

Sounds like me when I was in Year 11. I also wanted to study medicine, however, after some serious consideration and after some work experience at a hospital, I found that the lifestyle wasn't exactly for me. Yes, medicine pays relatively well (IMHO, still not enough, given the huge responsibilities medics have, especially the Consultants). In the end, I chose to do Computer Science.

Have you done any work experience at a local hospital/in a care home? Once you've done some, you should be able to decide whether or not a career in medicine is for you.

The subjects you've chosen should be fine should you wish to pursue a medical degree at most medical schools, as chemistry and biology are the two required subjects (AFAIK you don't even need biology for some medical programmes).

Graduate Entry is also an option after your initial undergraduate degree. Some medical schools are specifically ask for a life sciences degree, but some don't. However, GEM is even more competitive than your standard 5/6-year medical programme.
Yeah thank you i think after my gcses during the summer i will dedicate to work experience of all kinda of jobs because i really want to do everything 😂

Quick Reply

Latest