The Student Room Group

Application / Mental Health

With regards to applying for my student finance, I’ve had on and off treatment regarding my anxiety and depression for the last 4 years. I was on medication but stopped taking them about 9 months ago. However, my mental health dips up and down and it is likely that my anxiety is going to worsen towards starting University - therefore i may need my medication again. Does this mean I need to state it in my application to student finance as a long term / substantial mental health issue?
Reply 1
In the same boat! Hopefully somebody on here has the answers.
Original post by maisiew1234
With regards to applying for my student finance, I’ve had on and off treatment regarding my anxiety and depression for the last 4 years. I was on medication but stopped taking them about 9 months ago. However, my mental health dips up and down and it is likely that my anxiety is going to worsen towards starting University - therefore i may need my medication again. Does this mean I need to state it in my application to student finance as a long term / substantial mental health issue?

Hi maisie,

We will not ask you any questions about your health on your application for Student Finance.

You may wish though, during the application process to apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

The Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) can help towards additional costs students may face as a result of their disability, long term health/mental condition or a specific learning difficulty.

The DSAs will be in addition to the student finance package; it is non repayable and does not depend on the household income, but will depend on the students Study Needs Assessment which helps us determine the support the student needs to carry out their studies.

There are new DSA Videos online - On YouTube this is titled Applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances 2017/18 and is featured in the DSA Playlist.

Here is a link to take you straight there,

https://youtu.be/m6wBf_7ZSXU

Thanks Rona
Do you know if the DSA covers expenses on medication and counselling because I’m in the same boat and wasn’t sure if it was worth applying?
Original post by LeahThompson29
Do you know if the DSA covers expenses on medication and counselling because I’m in the same boat and wasn’t sure if it was worth applying?

DSA doesn’t fund anything like that. You might get equipment and software, or a non-medical helper such as a mentor to help you. They can also help with cabs to uni (you pay the equivalent of travelling by public transport and they pay the difference)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending