The Student Room Group

Learning to drive frustration

Hoping maybe somebody could give a few tips or advice. I have taken roughly 40 lessons and have started to learn later in life so think it's been tougher to pick up. The problem is on the last two occasions I have slipped into the wrong gear a few times and messed the lessons up, I was so close to my instructor saying I could book my test and now because of this he wants to hold off, I know this is stupid and can't understand why I am doing this now. I just feel really :mad::mad::mad: help!
This is not a big issue at all. Some cars have gearboxes that makes it quite easy to get into the wrong gear and I am sure it happens to everyone at the best of times. It is easy to rectify since all you need to do is change back into the gear you want and on the test it is just worth a minor if you do it. I don't see why you cannot book your test. The waiting list is 3 months or so for each test centre, so surely it is easy to practise and get right.
Reply 2
Thanx Emily just felt a bit down about it, will maybe have a wee word with my instructor although don’t think it will be this week due to the snow lol.
If it's just been a couple of lessons I wouldn't worry about it. If it keeps happening then it's definitely something that needs working on and may be valid for postponing the test. However, I can't see why you can't book a test date and aim towards it and move it back if necessary. I tend to find once we have a date booked for learners, their driving improves significantly as there's now a target to aim for. You should also be able to add extra lessons in on the run up to polish up anything that needs a bit of extra work.

Definitely discuss with your instructor and between you I'm sure you'll come up with a plan.
What gears are you struggling with in particular?
Reply 5
Hi Meowcake the problem tends to come up when shifting 4 to 2, I don't think I push it left enough and it stays in 4 :colondollar:
Reply 6
I'm 39 and learning to drive also had about 42 hours now a couple of times after about 30 hours I was messing up going from second to third and putting it in first by accident I've stopped doing it now so I wouldn't worry about it to much I think some times u have to make a mistake to learn from it and I keep telling my self it's better to make the mistakes now while I'm learning rather than once I've passed that's if I ever get put in for my test seems to be taking forever and even worse to see my eldest sons friends all passing before me
Reply 7
Hi Rooroo thanx I will be 41 next month and just wished I had done it when I was younger, overall I am pleased with my progress and hopefully will get this niggle sorted out as I think my instructor wants rid of me already :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending