The Student Room Group

Loans

Hi everyone. I've joined to discuss my situation to see if anyone can help me. Basically i'm currently applying for loans and I am really stressing over the maintenance loan. My situation is as followed... I am 22 living with my boyfriend in private rental accommodation. I have moved out because of my situation at home. My first year at university I was living with my parents, however they refused to fill out the forms to prove how much they earn due to certain reasons, however it has not gone in my favor because my loan was £3000 a year. I don't have the best relationship with them and they do not support me financially and I still work while at uni and on my placement, which has been a struggle with the work load but i could cope... just about. However i know year 2 will be more intense.

My questions are... even though i live with my boyfriend why are they still asking for my parents to fill out the forms?

If anyone can help and guide me in the right direction what to do would be very much appreciated. Thank you
Original post by JadeMarie1996
Hi everyone. I've joined to discuss my situation to see if anyone can help me. Basically i'm currently applying for loans and I am really stressing over the maintenance loan. My situation is as followed... I am 22 living with my boyfriend in private rental accommodation. I have moved out because of my situation at home. My first year at university I was living with my parents, however they refused to fill out the forms to prove how much they earn due to certain reasons, however it has not gone in my favor because my loan was £3000 a year. I don't have the best relationship with them and they do not support me financially and I still work while at uni and on my placement, which has been a struggle with the work load but i could cope... just about. However i know year 2 will be more intense.

My questions are... even though i live with my boyfriend why are they still asking for my parents to fill out the forms?

If anyone can help and guide me in the right direction what to do would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi JadeMarie1996,

As you are under 25 years old, not married and have no dependant children you are still assessed as dependant on your parents.

You can be assesed as under 25 and independant if you have self supported yourself for 36 months prior to the start of your first academic year. In that case you would not then be asked to provide your parents financial information.

If you have had no contact or a limited* amount of contact (verbal or written) with your biological/adoptive parent(s) for a significant amount of time, you can be assessed as an independent student on the basis of estrangement.

This means your parents do not need to provide their financial details to calculate the students entitlement.

What you need to do is send a cover letter with your name and customer reference number and a letter from an independent person with good standing in the community/professional person, who can confirm that you are estranged from your biological/adoptive parents and that reconciliation with parents is highly unlikely if not impossible.

Each application is dealt with individually on a case by case basis.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending