The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Gradcafe convention: GG&D Oxford 2018

Hey! Since we're all excited and other threads do not discuss this master's programme in specific, I've decided to start this thread to discuss matters regarding the MSc Global Governance & Diplomacy at Oxford (Starting Okt. 2018). Let's share thoughts, ideas, profiles and questions and keep one another up to date!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Thanks for creating this thread! Finally, we can talk with one another.
Can you tell more about yourself?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Has anybody called the Department to find out when they plan to send emails ?
Reply 3
No, I haven't but based on previous years I expect to receive something around the 16th of March.
Original post by nocturnal342
Has anybody called the Department to find out when they plan to send emails ?

and your background? :smile:
Reply 5
Hi! Thanks for creating this thread! Finally, we can talk with one another.

Yes sure, so I am the Dutch/Colombian student (as mentioned on gradcafe). I pursued my undergrad. degree at a relatively prominent honours college, where I graduated with a GPA of 3.83 and majored in International Law and Economics. Right now, I am pursuing a master's degree at a Dutch University. Here, they don't maintain GPAs but I expect to graduate with distinction.

I haven't published any work, but I do have relevant experience in Mexico, Colombia and Cameroon. I also submitted 5 reference letters of which one is a prominent professor at Johns Hopkins. I did everything within my capacity to submit a successful application, but I know there are loads of great students. Let's hope for the best... What about you?
(edited 6 years ago)
hello all! I'm an applicant as well
when did you all apply by? I did by the January deadline...I'm just curious if anyone who applied in November has heard anything?
Reply 8
Original post by abrahammmmmmmmm
when did you all apply by? I did by the January deadline...I'm just curious if anyone who applied in November has heard anything?

Yes they have, unless consideration has been postponed to the January deadline.
Reply 9
Thank you for starting this. Hi everyone!

I am an international applicant from Asia, did my BA (government studies) at one of the top universities in my country with a GPA of 3.96/4.00. I am currently working as a political analyst for an investment firm and I intend to work in research.

I haven't published anything important either, although my articles used to appear regularly on a local news portal (which I think is hardly relevant to Oxford). To be honest the application process really made me feel inadequate in so many ways but I am determined to prove my worth so I put everything I could into the application.

Fingers crossed we all get in!
Reply 10
Also, considering the pain I went through to write that personal statement, I imagine it would be very useful to future applicants who visit this thread to better get a tighter grasp on the writing style, process, and content.

Does any of you have any idea what a successful personal statement for GGD would look like?

If I succeed in my application, I would love to share my PS here.
Reply 11
Original post by DTSP
Also, considering the pain I went through to write that personal statement, I imagine it would be very useful to future applicants who visit this thread to better get a tighter grasp on the writing style, process, and content.

Does any of you have any idea what a successful personal statement for GGD would look like?

If I succeed in my application, I would love to share my PS here.

Hi DTSP, I think everyone feels that way (i.e. inadequate), but given your GPA and experience I don't think you should underestimate your potential.

I would also be willing to share my Statement of Purpose—if I get accepted. However, I am unsure whether I want to publish it or sent it on request. I am soooo curious about the results... It's taking soo long.. Hopefully they'll start sending it out this week.

Thank you for sharing your profile by the way, much appreciated. I think it's very telling that the ones that ask most for profiles and backgrounds are the ones revealing least of themselves (I observed this both at the gradcafe and in other threads as well). Pity, because I believe the purpose of a forum is to have fruitful two-way discussions, which benefit everyone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi all!

I am a French applicant and I am currently completing a masters at the LSE in politics. I also graduated with Distinction in Public International Law at Queen Mary University.
I am in the process of publishing one peer-reviewed article in energy law.

Wish you all the best for your applications! Fingers crossed!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Does anyone intend to apply for a research degree after completing this course?
Probably, provided I can obtain funding.
What about you?
Applicant from Russia; had some experience of representing my country in an International conference on the Ukrainian Crisis.
If anyone is in the UK, can he or she call the department and ask for the approximate date when they gonna announce the results?
Original post by lauramlw
Yes sure, so I am the Dutch/Colombian student (as mentioned on gradcafe). I pursued my undergrad. degree at a relatively prominent honours college, where I graduated with a GPA of 3.83 and majored in International Law and Economics. Right now, I am pursuing a master's degree at a Dutch University. Here, they don't maintain GPAs but I expect to graduate with distinction.

I haven't published any work, but I do have relevant experience in Mexico, Colombia and Cameroon. I also submitted 5 reference letters of which one is a prominent professor at Johns Hopkins. I did everything within my capacity to submit a successful application, but I know there are loads of great students. Let's hope for the best... What about you?

Original post by PierreSimon
Hi all!

I am a French applicant and I am currently completing a masters at the LSE in politics. I also graduated with Distinction in Public International Law at Queen Mary University.
I am in the process of publishing one peer-reviewed article in energy law.

Wish you all the best for your applications! Fingers crossed!

You have great profiles, guys!
Reply 18
Original post by PierreSimon
Probably, provided I can obtain funding.
What about you?

If I like the University and Oxford's social life I would love to apply for a research degree as well.
If anyone is in the UK, can he or she call the department and ask for the approximate date when they gonna announce the results?

Will do it tomorrow! I'll keep you posted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending