Turn on thread page Beta

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    Oh yeah.
    I think that even the TSR algorithm has realised how little your responses matter. 15 mins passed since you quoted me, and yet I still haven't gotten a notification alerting me to the quote

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue how some of you have managed to remain calm.

Efron, I personally would take up the advice of the person who said apply this year. You can view it as a practise run, so that you have more understanding about the UCAS process. If you end up of with a place it’s a bonus, if not then you have lost nothing and will be able to work on your application for next year.

I am not the most desirable student, in the terms of academia. I am 45 ish credits into my 60 credit course, with a mix of merits and distinctions, I’m also doing my Maths GCSE (I already have my English). Both have been made part of my conditions. However, I got places at every university I applied to (not law though) because I kept my choices realistic, made sure I’d be able to reach their minimum entry requirements and then worked on other areas to ensure that I was an exceptional applicant. Yes grades are important, but you can stand out from the crowd without doing an access course and 3 A-levels.

If you decide to do the OU course or one of the A-levels, then I would also use this time and the year of your application to do things that will make you different from other applicants.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    What makes you think I'm after power, lol
    This vvv

(Original post by Efron)
    I want to reach high ranks in the military so which one can grant me more power if I join, from the beginning and the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Drewski)
    This:
    Ah you stole my line...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winner winner)
    I have no clue how some of you have managed to remain calm.

Efron, I personally would take up the advice of the person who said apply this year. You can view it as a practise run, so that you have more understanding about the UCAS process. If you end up of with a place it’s a bonus, if not then you have lost nothing and will be able to work on your application for next year.

I am not the most desirable student, in the terms of academia. I am 45 ish credits into my 60 credit course, with a mix of merits and distinctions, I’m also doing my Maths GCSE (I already have my English). Both have been made part of my conditions. However, I got places at every university I applied to (not law though) because I kept my choices realistic, made sure I’d be able to reach their minimum entry requirements and then worked on other areas to ensure that I was an exceptional applicant. Yes grades are important, but you can stand out from the crowd without doing an access course and 3 A-levels.

If you decide to do the OU course or one of the A-levels, then I would also use this time and the year of your application to do things that will make you different from other applicants.
    I'm 20 years old and I've published a book, I was thinking about posting it to the universitys I want to get into as part of my assessment.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    JFC what a mess of a thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    I'm 20 years old and I've published a book, I was thinking about posting it to the universitys I want to get into as part of my assessment.
    Hopefully that will help them come to the correct decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Efron)
    I'm currently doing a six month intensive access course in law that finishes in August, if I finish that and then begin doing 3 A levels in college, one in English language, one in philosophy and one in Drama.

Do you think I have a good chance by using my access course as a predicted grade to my A levels, I've just turned 20 years old by the way.
    If you've got an access course, is there a reason you're doing A-levels as well? An access course is good enough for most degrees, especially if it's in the subject you're applying for.

If you're doing 3 A-levels, it must be a two year course, so your tutors will use your first year results to predict your second year results. You'll have to list your access course on your application as well, though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Efron)
    Everyone on this thread (except Doonesbury and PQ and a couple of other people which I thank soo much ) are idiots and a complete waste of time, as you have nothing better to do than discourage and extract negativity. To those people I say shame on you and get a life.

Have a nice life and see you later.
    That's not fair I'm definitely an idiot :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    By assessment, do you mean when they look over your application?

As far as I know, you can't send extra material like that. You can mention it in a personal statement, of course. But given you're applying for law, and having a published book does not show an interest in law (unless it is about law), I wouldn't say it is all that relevant. If you have the word count to spare when you do get to writing your personal statement then by all means put it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ah you stole my line...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a question for you doonesbury, sorry for the hassle. As you seem like a smart and kid individual so I would like to ask you, I would kindly prefer for nobody else to answer except PQ if he/she so wishes.

But what is your opinion on the university one goes to, do you think a certain university will make your career and opportunities higher, especially if you want to become a barrister.

Do you think if one goes to Westminster then your chances of success in the legal field are severely reduced, or is it the same thing and that ones you graduate it will make a scrap of difference where you go to.

Some people say it doesn't make a difference at all as the course is the same, yet only if you go to Oxford you may get an initial push that's reasonably higher than that of others, but in the long run it doesn't matter at all.

But some say that you may succeed but will be severely reduced if you go to a university like Westminster.

Which side are you on?

Thank you again and I hope my questions haven't seemed childish as I assume that may be what you think of me by the hurd of questions I'm asking, but believe it or not you have helped me immensely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.