The Student Room Group

i'm not going to wash my hair for a month

i'm not gonna wash my hair for a month and im only going to rinse it with water if the outcome is nice then i might go no shampoo for even longer any thoughts? don't be afraid to be harsh

Scroll to see replies

why do you wanna do that lol
Reply 2
Original post by MarkMarkMarkL
why do you wanna do that lol

ive seen other people do it and they like their personal outcome so wanna try it myself
I understand the whole reasoning behind it.
Your hair should start to naturally clean itself. However I would still shampoo it occasionally, just to properly clean it and get rid of any dirt and grime.
Original post by rosegg_015
i'm not gonna wash my hair for a month and im only going to rinse it with water if the outcome is nice then i might go no shampoo for even longer any thoughts? don't be afraid to be harsh

People are dying of malnutrition...

Get me?
ive seen other people do it and they like their personal outcome so wanna try it myself

is it beneficial or?
Reply 6
Original post by Oneiropólos
People are dying of malnutrition...

Get me?

Exactly decreasing my use of shampoo helps those third world countries. In the UK we do not know what hard work and labour goes into a typical bottle of shampoo. Product miles. how far has the product reached just to go in my hair? The plastic bottle, it isn't safe for the environment. The ingredients, who picked the fruit? Who made the ''natural oil''?
Reply 7
It's probably going to smell though, especially if you live or work around strong smells. Water doesn't do the best job at removing bad smells.

You may not notice it but other people might.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MarkMarkMarkL
is it beneficial or?

I believe the natural oils in your hair are good enough nutrition for my hair. What did people use before shampoo came around? Water. So i Guess there will be benefits and down sides. Depending on how it goes.
Going no shampoo doesn't require one to not wash it with water.
To see results, I heard you have to do this for 3 months though, no shampoo, only water.
Original post by UWS
It's probably going to smell though, especially if you live or work around strong smells. Water doesn't do the best job at removing bad smells.

You may not notice it but other people might.

I've read that the first few weeks it starts to smell due to bacterial build up as your hair relies on shampoo to be clean. However, your hair can naturally clean itself after a while. Rinsing with water should be all I need. After two or three weeks your hair naturally picks up the scents around you so it will not smell disgusting due to bacteria any more it will just smell like everything else. Fresh air I guess.
Thanks for the advice, I will consider three months after about 1-3 weeks trial. I don't think I will give up until I start to see positive results
Original post by AzureCeleste
I understand the whole reasoning behind it.
Your hair should start to naturally clean itself. However I would still shampoo it occasionally, just to properly clean it and get rid of any dirt and grime.

I dunno yet, I'll see how this month goes but before shampoo came around people only used water and i'm sure their hair was fine.
Thanks for the advice, I will consider three months after about 1-3 weeks trial. I don't think I will give up until I start to see positive results

Can you update us weekly (or daily lel) on this, in this thread perhaps? I would be interested to know how it goes
Yes sure, I was going to shower this morning but I got caught up in other things, therefore i haven't washed my hair since Friday morning. I'm probably going to go and rinse it in ten. Just need to finish some revision.
Reply 15
Exactly decreasing my use of shampoo helps those third world countries. In the UK we do not know what hard work and labour goes into a typical bottle of shampoo. Product miles. how far has the product reached just to go in my hair? The plastic bottle, it isn't safe for the environment. The ingredients, who picked the fruit? Who made the ''natural oil''?

could you expand? im struggling to see how, even if its eases one's conscience, how not buying shampoos will help those in 3rd world countries.

going natural is all well and good, but tbh water alone isn't the best way to properly clean your hair. people who only used water before shampoos came around were also people who bathed few times per year. stopping using shampoos may be good for you in the long-term, but in the short term pls at least consider hygiene. like with washing hands - water alone won't 'wash' off the germs, it's better breeding ground for them actually. perhaps you can try some soapy water.
I'm sorry, I get there's a reasoning behind it and I'm trying my best to be open-minded but I just can't. It's disgusting - and considering we have evolved beyond self-cleaning and have come up with solutions to remain hygienic at our own will - it is also redundant. Not only this but I fail to see any benefit it will bring, it will most certainly smell and it is a recipe for social disaster as well as poor basic hygiene.

:nn:
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe the natural oils in your hair are good enough nutrition for my hair. What did people use before shampoo came around? Water. So i Guess there will be benefits and down sides. Depending on how it goes.

People have been using natural soaps and shampoos for thousands of years I think...reason being that people have always understood that water is not quiet enough.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Arima
could you expand? im struggling to see how, even if its eases one's conscience, how not buying shampoos will help those in 3rd world countries.

going natural is all well and good, but tbh water alone isn't the best way to properly clean your hair. people who only used water before shampoos came around were also people who bathed few times per year. stopping using shampoos may be good for you in the long-term, but in the short term pls at least consider hygiene. like with washing hands - water alone won't 'wash' off the germs, it's better breeding ground for them actually. perhaps you can try some soapy water.

I'm still going to wash my body and hands ext. I'm am doing this as an experiment in natural hygiene rather than man made hygiene.

Have you heard the phrase every little helps? The shampoo we use everyday is made up of multiple substances. A lot of shampoo have foreign Fruits in them or coconuts many people from third world countries have picked these and made them into oils and liquids ext. Chemicals we don't understand and we don't know where they come from are also in shampoo. Not everything is made in factories and made by machines. Big companies get their resources from 3rd world countries. Many people in these countries who are underage or sick, too old, poor ext are working in bad conditions for lots of hours with a very little payment. Payments like 5p per day. These substances then get shipped to other factories or work places that then mix and make the shampoo. Now the shampoo is put into plastic bottles. We all know how plastic is bad for the environment. But what about the plastics product miles how far has it travelled to be made into this bottle of shampoo. then finally the complete product is shipped to our UK stores. The product has come from across the globe to be taken home and washed in out hair then down the drain. Shampoo like toothpaste Can not be separated once in the drain so these harmful chemical enter the ocean and fish eat it and we then have fish on our plates therefore it is entering our food chain. How many people actually think about recycling the plastic bottle or does it end up in landfills and then buried into the ground that takes millions of years to break down. Simply one person as a consumer not buying shampoo can have a small effect on many lives. Then again on person as a designer simply making a decision to change the container of shampoo they sell worldwide can have the biggest effect on the environment. My small change could inspire other to change. There for; Every little helps!
Original post by Paracosm
I'm sorry, I get there's a reasoning behind it and I'm trying my best to be open-minded but I just can't. It's disgusting - and considering we have evolved beyond self-cleaning and have come up with solutions to remain hygienic at our own will - it is also redundant. Not only this but I fail to see any benefit it will bring, it will most certainly smell and it is a recipe for social disaster as well as poor basic hygiene.

:nn:

Keep updated with this thread, we can see the outcome then and maybe you or I may re-think our opinion. You might end up agreeing with I or the other way round. Maybe we will still have separate sides who knows what a month can bring?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending