The Student Room Group

London South Bank University or University of Portsmouth?

Hi all, hope this is the right place to post this.

I've applied to both London South Bank and Portsmouth for film production courses, and got unconditional offers from both too. While Portsmouth definitely looks like the better uni, I can't shake the feeling that I'll miss out if I don't go to London (especially as it's such a media epicentre).

Any thoughts? I've also got offers from Chichester and Southampton Solent, if that helps.
Original post by xsjr

I've applied to both London South Bank and Portsmouth for film production courses, and got unconditional offers from both too. While Portsmouth definitely looks like the better uni, I can't shake the feeling that I'll miss out if I don't go to London (especially as it's such a media epicentre).

Any thoughts? I've also got offers from Chichester and Southampton Solent, if that helps.

Is there any reason you chose these and didnt apply for ones further up the tree?

Are you restricted by grades? I would think about resitting or a foundation year for more established courses or at least check if it was a possibility. I wouldnt be worried about missing London.

The Poster PQ has expertise in this area, so pm them and see if they will be kind enough to advise.

Try and make contact with students on the course.

Post in the sub forums for the uni plus maybe try though the SU society.
Was the closest i could get for LSBU
https://www.lsbsu.org/societies/FilmsEveryWeek/

Portsmouth
https://membership.upsu.net/group/cinema-society
https://membership.upsu.net/group/victory-media
Original post by xsjr

Hi there,

We have a brand new multi-million pound state-of-the-art Technology Park which is currently being built and will be open in September! There are 9 editing suites for student use and a master editing suite for lecture/seminar purposes, a three storey high sound stage, a green screen stage for motion capture and plenty more incredible facilities at your finger tips!

During your course, you'll be able to get experience in different areas (directing, producing etc) and you'll be involved in a lot of practical work (no written exams, all practical and reflective essays) including group projects each year, 2 week residential on set with professionals, Chi Uni Graduate run workshops with all experiences to reflect industrial practice so you're fully prepared when you graduate and lots of opportunities to make contacts for after you graduate. You also create a portfolio of all your work during your degree for use when looking for jobs and experience.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! You are more than welcome to come for a campus tour to help make your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending