The Student Room Group

1K words a day for disso?

Hi guys - support please!

I have a 10K history disso due in about 4 weeks. I wanted my draft done by the end of the month.

I do not like my topic at all, and thus have been putting it off. I have around 30-40 sources, I think. I still need to do reading and it is a medieval topic.

Is this realistic? Commit to 1k words a day, with research in the morning and writing in the evening for the next ten days? Once complete - then spend remaining time going over each 1K section? I was thinking of reading around 5-6 sources for each 1K from noon to 6 and then 7 to 12 write. I need to spend time on three other essays due a week after so 8-12 on reading for those.

I am s*hitting bricks.

Also, have missed the chapter draft deadline but might be cheeky and email my tutor a couple 1K words [to make it seem smaller :wink:] during the week.

Please, restore my sanity. Am I able to do this?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I think so :smile:
Check the rules. Is 10k the maximum or the recommended length? If it’s the maximum then aim for 8k
How do you have 40 sources if you haven't read them? You might read them and find that they are useless. Regardless, 1k a day is doable. Once you've done the reading and made a plan for your chapters, you could probably be writing around 3-4000 a day if you wanted to.
100 words per hour works if you've you got your refs in line, and during that hour you can rewrite and check it all, have a 5 minute phone break, or just move on the the next 100 words!
Original post by GoingToBurst
How do you have 40 sources if you haven't read them? You might read them and find that they are useless. Regardless, 1k a day is doable. Once you've done the reading and made a plan for your chapters, you could probably be writing around 3-4000 a day if you wanted to.

No, I have done the reading for them and this is why I know I have that amount of sources.
Original post by PQ
Check the rules. Is 10k the maximum or the recommended length? If it’s the maximum then aim for 8k

Yes, it is the maximum. Should I aim less - why? I want to do 10K.
Original post by GinaRibbons
100 words per hour works if you've you got your refs in line, and during that hour you can rewrite and check it all, have a 5 minute phone break, or just move on the the next 100 words!

I was thinking of doing 200 in an hour as I have three other assignments after this to focus on. Decent?
Original post by RosieAppleLemon
Yes, it is the maximum. Should I aim less - why? I want to do 10K.

Because you’re short on time so should focus on quality over quantity.

Because you’ll have less time for editing so need to avoid running out when your draft is too long.

Because you should always aim to come in under a word limit.

Because if your first draft is 10k and you know you’ve missed out some key points you have to edit down AND add in the key points.
Reply 9
It's doable, I usually go for a bare minimum of 2000 a day for my PhD thesis.
Reply 10
50,000 words as it stands, probably going to come in at about 70-80,000. I don't write every day (I probably should) because I have to do a lot of translations to add in later and I have to spend a couple of days a week staying on top of stuff I'm teaching, so I guess that's 4 days a week writing most weeks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
It can seem overwhelming sometimes but generally speaking it's just breaking it up into chunks, pretty manageable most of the time!
Definitely possible. I did mine in about a week and only really gained momentum in the last few days. But yeah I wouldn't aim for the maximum. It gets tricky when you get to editing and you need to add more words but can't.
Make sure you're referencing along the way though, don't leave it to the very end to add them all. Can get very confusing.
A reasonably detailed plan is also pretty important so I'd put a bit of time into that first. Especially since you don't like your topic (I didn't like mine either).
Reply 13
Original post by showaeski
Definitely possible. I did mine in about a week and only really gained momentum in the last few days. But yeah I wouldn't aim for the maximum. It gets tricky when you get to editing and you need to add more words but can't.
Make sure you're referencing along the way though, don't leave it to the very end to add them all. Can get very confusing.
A reasonably detailed plan is also pretty important so I'd put a bit of time into that first. Especially since you don't like your topic (I didn't like mine either).

Did you get assigned your topic or something? I've loved everything I have written a dissertation on. Well, at the start anyway. By the end it's a different story :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
Did you get assigned your topic or something? I've loved everything I have written a dissertation on. Well, at the start anyway. By the end it's a different story :laugh:

Yeah we got assigned topics. Disliked it from the start because it's a really niche and boring area and there weren't many papers on it. I have another one due and we got to pick our top 8 out of 50 titles and I only got my 8th choice which is sh*t.
Shame because there are so many things I'd love to write a dissertation on but my course doesn't give us that flexibility.
Reply 15
Original post by showaeski
Yeah we got assigned topics. Disliked it from the start because it's a really niche and boring area and there weren't many papers on it. I have another one due and we got to pick our top 8 out of 50 titles and I only got my 8th choice which is sh*t.
Shame because there are so many things I'd love to write a dissertation on but my course doesn't give us that flexibility.

Gah that's pretty grim, I'd have HATED to be told to write on stuff I didn't really care about.
Definate possible. But I’d recommend more than 5-6 sources per 1000 words (especially for your lit review) if you want a good grade.
Original post by gjd800
It's doable, I usually go for a bare minimum of 2000 a day for my PhD thesis.

Wow, give me your brain!

I just feel like I am going to fail, I really don't want to!
Original post by RosieAppleLemon
No, I have done the reading for them and this is why I know I have that amount of sources.

Ah okay that makes more sense! If you've done the reading then you could probably write the whole thing in a day if you really wanted to. Don't worry, you have plenty of time :smile:.
Thank you, angel.

I just feel so stressed, partly because I don't like the topic. But - I really want to aim for a first and my supervisor isn't the best (the previous one went on study leave) so not even sure if I am doing the right thing since he's just like 'yep, whatever'.

I don't know about a day, ahah. I would pass out.

Original post by GoingToBurst
Ah okay that makes more sense! If you've done the reading then you could probably write the whole thing in a day if you really wanted to. Don't worry, you have plenty of time :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending