The Student Room Group

Sixth Form, With No GCSEs

Hey everyone. Something’s been bothering me recently and I need to get it off my chest.

I’m a seventeen-going-on-eighteen-year-old student currently studying the first year of a Level 3 BTEC Degree at college. Last year, I received a Level 1 BTEC Diploma in a different subject (yes, I jumped! There were no spaces left on the Level 2 courses that my college offers and the course leader thought I’d fare fine on L3).

So, time for the disastrous details. I’m doing quite well; the only problem is... I’m taking the wrong subject. 😒 My course is very practical, but I am and always have been academic. I was an overachiever at school, I love writing, and I don’t dread textbooks. I know, deep in the BTEC-stuffed recesses of my brain, that I should be studying my A Levels.

But that’s fine, right? Just apply for the subjects you want to take psychology, sociology, and law and move to a sixth form in September; you’ll be eighteen, but you still have time.

Great idea! But I don’t have the certification. Despite loving learning, I dropped out of school in Year 9. I don’t have any formal high school qualifications. I got into college on my above-average English skills and enthusiasm alone, but I don’t have anything to prove that enthusiasm. I’ll likely have passed my English GCSE by the end of this year, however I don’t have the normal requirements most A Level providers ask for.

I’ve always loved social sciences, but I can’t back that adoration up academically. I can only support it with my own personal research (which isn’t substantial at the moment, because I thought I’d never be able to pursue it as a career) and the affirmation that I want nothing more than to work in the area. I can only reassure them that the sole reason I haven’t considered this before is because I did and still kinda do think it’s borderline impossible I’ll be accepted anywhere.

This turned out to be a whinge haha, but that’s the dilemma! So, my questions are thus:

1. What are the chances of me taking an A Level course without formal qualifications?

2. Will a centre be willing to offer me a place based on personal interest alone?
Most A Levels require some sort of GCSE e.g. my sixth form needed a B in maths at GCSE to study psychology. Best to ask around sixth forms for their requirements for the subjects you want to study.
Also, If you are 18 in September, you might not be allowed to take the a levels, since you need to be 19 or under when the a level finishes. I know some people finish when they are 20, but I think it would cost quite a lot (as far as I am aware, have a look online somwhere). If you are wanting to go to uni, I recommend looking at some foundation courses, and get in contact with some unis after one year of a levels. somewhere might be prepared to let you on ( I am not a professional, I just know a few of my friends are doing the same thing)
Original post by pvcpirouette
Hey everyone. Something’s been bothering me recently and I need to get it off my chest.

I’m a seventeen-going-on-eighteen-year-old student currently studying the first year of a Level 3 BTEC Degree at college. Last year, I received a Level 1 BTEC Diploma in a different subject (yes, I jumped! There were no spaces left on the Level 2 courses that my college offers and the course leader thought I’d fare fine on L3).

So, time for the disastrous details. I’m doing quite well; the only problem is... I’m taking the wrong subject. 😒 My course is very practical, but I am and always have been academic. I was an overachiever at school, I love writing, and I don’t dread textbooks. I know, deep in the BTEC-stuffed recesses of my brain, that I should be studying my A Levels.

But that’s fine, right? Just apply for the subjects you want to take psychology, sociology, and law and move to a sixth form in September; you’ll be eighteen, but you still have time.

Great idea! But I don’t have the certification. Despite loving learning, I dropped out of school in Year 9. I don’t have any formal high school qualifications. I got into college on my above-average English skills and enthusiasm alone, but I don’t have anything to prove that enthusiasm. I’ll likely have passed my English GCSE by the end of this year, however I don’t have the normal requirements most A Level providers ask for.

I’ve always loved social sciences, but I can’t back that adoration up academically. I can only support it with my own personal research (which isn’t substantial at the moment, because I thought I’d never be able to pursue it as a career) and the affirmation that I want nothing more than to work in the area. I can only reassure them that the sole reason I haven’t considered this before is because I did and still kinda do think it’s borderline impossible I’ll be accepted anywhere.

This turned out to be a whinge haha, but that’s the dilemma! So, my questions are thus:

1. What are the chances of me taking an A Level course without formal qualifications?

2. Will a centre be willing to offer me a place based on personal interest alone?

As said above - The majority of A-Levels require GCSE’s, even subjects like sociology will often specify a C/B in Maths or English.

Are you willing to get your GCSEs before doing A-Levels? That seems like the best route. It may take a little longer, and require self studying / entering exams as an external candidate, but you seem to have the drive to do so! but as said above, you could also contacting sixth forms near you to see what their requirements are.

But even then, universities will also likely require minimum of 5 GCSEs grade A*-C if that’s something you were thinking of doing.
Thanks for the advice!

University is definitely something I want to do; from what I’ve heard, though, most of them don’t take GCSE results into account? (I could be wrong, I’ve just heard that they won’t reject you based purely on the outcome of exams you took when you were only 15-16 years old).

I’ve been looking into studying IGCSEs online... the only thing that’s stopping me is the cost, and the timing. I know I’m only 17, and that I have a lot of time left to figure out where I’m going /personally/, but in education terms I don’t have time to frolic at all unless I plan on winning the lottery. 😒 I’m kinda at a turning point; I don’t wanna backtrack even though it would only help me in the grand scheme of things but I also don’t want to rush myself and not achieve to my full potential.
From what I’ve researched, I think there are some colleges that offer A Level courses for anyone, regardless of age. It might also be a good choice because of my experience in a college environment.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending