The Student Room Group

Rough being alone

So I'm a guy studying at Bangor university, been single for a while now and really struggling to find someone, it gets lonely and brings be down sometimes

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chemmit
So I'm a guy studying at Bangor university, been single for a while now and really struggling to find someone, it gets lonely and brings be down sometimes

Any thoughts?

What course are you studying? Is it possible to join your course society or a club (unless its predominantly male and you’re straight of course haha).
Reply 2
Original post by Lily048
What course are you studying? Is it possible to join your course society or a club (unless its predominantly male and you’re straight of course haha).

I'm in chemistry and it has a society but not a hugely active one, joined clubs too but not really gotten on with them. Yeah I'm a straight dude
Reply 3
The big problem is no one ever really clicks with me
Reply 4
Original post by chemmit
I'm in chemistry and it has a society but not a hugely active one, joined clubs too but not really gotten on with them. Yeah I'm a straight dude

Understandable - what year? Any success with dorm/hall residents? What about the people you hope to live with next year - can anyone introduce you to someone?
Reply 5
Original post by Lily048
Understandable - what year? Any success with dorm/hall residents? What about the people you hope to live with next year - can anyone introduce you to someone?

First year but I've never lived in halls and have quite a closed friend group, feel like I've already met everyone I'm going to meet if that makes sense
Reply 6
Original post by chemmit
First year but I've never lived in halls and have quite a closed friend group, feel like I've already met everyone I'm going to meet if that makes sense

Oh right so what is your living situation if you don’t mind me asking? It’s only first year - I didn’t meet my current boyfriend till third year when (cliche) I wasn’t even looking for a relationship
Reply 7
Original post by Lily048
Oh right so what is your living situation if you don’t mind me asking? It’s only first year - I didn’t meet my current boyfriend till third year when (cliche) I wasn’t even looking for a relationship

Just in a student house with friends, it's not even that I'm exactly looking it's just I never meet anyone I'd even think of dating
Reply 8
Original post by chemmit
Just in a student house with friends, it's not even that I'm exactly looking it's just I never meet anyone I'd even think of dating

I think University sets expectations where you think in freshers you’ll clap eyes with someone who then develops into a whirlwind romance but it’s nothing like that.
Realistically it is a waiting game, but expecting it is the worst thing you can do. Divert your priorities for a while and see what changes, you may be pleasantly surprised!
Reply 9
Original post by Lily048
I think University sets expectations where you think in freshers you’ll clap eyes with someone who then develops into a whirlwind romance but it’s nothing like that.
Realistically it is a waiting game, but expecting it is the worst thing you can do. Divert your priorities for a while and see what changes, you may be pleasantly surprised!

I never really went in with those expectations but always thought in the back of my head that someone would eventually pop along and now the years ending and not a soul, it starts to get to you ya know?
I'm lonely too and it has hit me hard recently so I know how you feel. But you will probably find someone. You're probably like 18. I'm like 100. Peak for me lol the trick is to act like you're alone because no one can handle how badass you are. Fake it till you make it. That's what I been doing but I think I've been slipping recently because I've been opening up about how I feel to my friends. Don't do that. They will just give you ******** unhelpful advice that just makes you feel worse. Basically there is something wrong with us. My friends don't have the guts to tell me what it is so ill have to figure it out myself. You have to find out what it is too.
Reply 11
Original post by Punjabichai93
I'm lonely too and it has hit me hard recently so I know how you feel. But you will probably find someone. You're probably like 18. I'm like 100. Peak for me lol the trick is to act like you're alone because no one can handle how badass you are. Fake it till you make it. That's what I been doing but I think I've been slipping recently because I've been opening up about how I feel to my friends. Don't do that. They will just give you ******** unhelpful advice that just makes you feel worse. Basically there is something wrong with us. My friends don't have the guts to tell me what it is so ill have to figure it out myself. You have to find out what it is too.

Nah man I'm a fair bit older than 18. I always suspected something was wrong with me not gonna lie
Original post by chemmit
Nah man I'm a fair bit older than 18. I always suspected something was wrong with me not gonna lie

Maybe you've been feeling this way longer than me? Or showing it more. Like I said I think being open about feeling lonely just makes things worse. In other ways too such as coming across needy which obviously won't help
Reply 13
Don't think anyone can accuse me of being needy :P I've really been keeping this to myself so far it's only really lately that it's been boiling over
Original post by chemmit
Don't think anyone can accuse me of being needy :P I've really been keeping this to myself so far it's only really lately that it's been boiling over

Hmm same for me. I think this is the lowest my self esteem has ever been in my entire life. I used to respect myself and think I'm worthy. Maybe we're just butters. I think that's the conclusion I came to for myself. And I'm too reserved. Not slutty enough. But then I don't really want to change that. I've always wanted something serious only but I don't meet people who want the same.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Hmm same for me. I think this is the lowest my self esteem has ever been in my entire life. I used to respect myself and think I'm worthy. Maybe we're just butters. I think that's the conclusion I came to for myself. And I'm too reserved. Not slutty enough. But then I don't really want to change that. I've always wanted something serious only but I don't meet people who want the same.

Nothing wrong with being a little reserved you need to find something good not just the next thing that floats along, I always think I'm being picky but then I see friends just jumping on the next thing and think "nah that just looks awful"
Original post by chemmit
Nothing wrong with being a little reserved you need to find something good not just the next thing that floats along, I always think I'm being picky but then I see friends just jumping on the next thing and think "nah that just looks awful"

Yeah I used to think that. But tbh at my age most of my friends and acquaintances are in serious relationships so they're still winning
Reply 17
How old are you? If you don't mind me asking?
Original post by chemmit
How old are you? If you don't mind me asking?

Just turned 25
Reply 19
Just turned 25

You're actually younger than me a bit, I was in a serious relationship at 25 but that ended last year. They're not winning they're just lucky or settling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending