The Student Room Group

First time abroad, what size suitcase? (1week)

I'll be heading off to Germany and need a suitcase ASAP as will be going in a week and haven't bought a suitcase yet, oops.

If it helps I like clothes a lot so i will definitely want multiple outfits.

I'll be visiting for 1 week total.

Thanks.
It depends whether you want one that will fit in the overhead or not. I have a small 'it luggage' suitcase that I use for holidays. It's small but I managed to fit 3 pairs of shoes and about 5 outfits in there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ruffiio
I'll be heading off to Germany and need a suitcase ASAP as will be going in a week and haven't bought a suitcase yet, oops.

If it helps I like clothes a lot so i will definitely want multiple outfits.

I'll be visiting for 1 week total.

Thanks.

I would get one of those 4 wheel standing suitcases cos they're easy to move around. They tend to come in three sizes- hand luggage, smaller suitcase and larger suitcase. You could manage with a hand luggage size, but if you're buying one I would go for small suitcase cos it's going to be more re-usable. Not too big for a single person going for a week, but also big enough for two people or for longer holidays. Also gives some extra space for a pillow, souvenirs etc.

I would pop into a luggage shop if you have one near you (or somewhere like debenhams may have a luggage section) with a tape measure. Have a look at those and measure them to give you an idea of what all these measurements online actually mean so you can buy one online (or from the shop if there's one you like).

Some context:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Members-Hi-Lite-Lightweight-Expandable-Suitcase/dp/B01701H220/ref=sr_1_18?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1524833105&sr=1-18&keywords=4%2Bwheel%2Bsuitcase&refinements=p_72%3A419153031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A1919515031&th=1
The "medium" option there should be more than enough space for a week away and still easy to move around. If you know you pack on the generous side and/ or expect you will be using it in the future for longer holidays or as a shared bag the "large" would also work (but will likely be roomy for this trip).
I have a bag which I think is around the same as that large option and I like the size. I can pack extra generously for around a week (I'm talking pillow, hair dryer, towel etc) and also more sparingly for more like 2 weeks with partner. At that size I still find it easy enough to move around too cos of the 4 wheels. I am not a light packer though so medium should still be entirely reasonable.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your time in Germany. :smile:
Don't forget to check your allowance for luggage with your airline. I take the largest I can. Love taking loads of stuff and bringing back stuff as well. Have a good time.
Do what I do when I go on short trips abroad, take a big camper bag and fill it with loads of clothes. You don't need to bother checking anything in just go through security and onto the plane. Done it so many times its fine

Kind of bag I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G4Free-Lightweight-Resistant-Foldable-Backpack/dp/B015OG99AQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1525232603&sr=1-1&keywords=hiking+bag

Quick Reply

Latest