The Student Room Group

Huddersfield or Sheffield

Hi, I’ve looked at Sheffield Hallam University and University of Huddersfield and was wondering what place is better to be a student? I know Sheffield is a city and Huddersfield is a town, so I guess it’s difficult to compare. Any help would be great!
Original post by hellogiggles
Hi, I’ve looked at Sheffield Hallam University and University of Huddersfield and was wondering what place is better to be a student? I know Sheffield is a city and Huddersfield is a town, so I guess it’s difficult to compare. Any help would be great!

It depends on what you want to get out of the student experience but I would focus more on the course as your degree will stay with you for life long after you've finished with either city.
Hey @hellogiggles

We have a few student ambassadors who would be happy to have a chat to you about student life in Sheffield @SHUGURU @hallamstudents

Let me know how you get on!
Bridget

Hi there,

I am a studying at Sheffield Hallam University at the moment and also living in the city. Sheffield is a very student oriented city, you can walk absolutely everywhere, or its only £1 to get the busy anywhere in the centre. There are lots of cool places to eat, as well as lots of cafes. We have West St and Division St that are the main streets for clubs and bars as well as vintage shops. There are also lots of green spaces in Sheffield to hang out at in the summer, such as Devonshire Green, Botanical Gardens, Winter Gardens and Endcliffe Park, as well as lots of beer gardens. The Peak District is not far too you can get a train or bus out there and go for a walk.

It is also very arty as a city and there are lots of music venues, theatres and galleries like the O2, the Crucible, Millennium Gallery as well as lots of Cinemas. Sheffield is currently undergoing lots of renovations such as the Retail Quarter Development so lots of places in they centre have been developed and modernised such as The Moore, which also means lots of new shops are coming to Sheffield. Also Meadowhall is a 5 minute train away or 20 minute tram.

As for Huddersfield I am not that knowledgeable about the student life there. What course are you thinking of studying? There are lots of other things to consider when choosing between them, such as how far you would have to travel from home. Where is it that you are coming from? Are the modules on the course aligned with your interests, what extra opportunities are available at the university? A year abroad, societies, sports.

Hope that helps!

Chandni
Hi Chandni @hallamstudents

Thanks a lot for your help. I love the fact Sheffield has tons of things to do as a student, but I also like how much smaller and quaint Huddersfield looks. It is a town too, and as I currently live in a town I would probably settle in quicker if I were to move to Huddersfield. On the other hand, I want to step out of my comfort zone and move to a city, which is why I’m struggling to choose between Huddersfield and Sheffield. If I did study at Sheffield Hallam University, my course would be Performance for Stage and Screen BA. University of Huddersfield has more societies I think, but I want to live in a place where I’m gonna be happy for the next three years, and also somewhere where there will be lots to do 🤔
Hi @hellogiggles,

It sounds like you have a lots of considerations, but I am sure you will be very happy wherever you choose.

The benefit of being in a town is a real sense of community, and at Huddersfield everything is on one campus, and the campus is only a 2 minute walk from the town centre. The Students’ Union does provide a good choice of Societies and Sports Clubs which you can join, and if you would like to set up your own Society, they will support students starting new groups too. When I studied for my degree, all the close friends I made were through joining the societies, I even met my husband! So I would highly recommend getting involved with new things and getting out your comfort zone with societies like student radio or even archery!

If you want to see what our students think, two of our students wrote these blogs recently about student life in Huddersfield so you can hear first-hand to where they like to hang out and what there is to do in and around the town:

http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/things-to-do/huddersfield-on-the-map/

http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/things-to-do/my-favourite-places-in-huddersfield/

Huddersfield is a friendly place, and although smaller than a city, it is always bustling with events so you will be spoilt for choice as there is something for everyone. We are also close to Leeds (25 mins) and Manchester both easily accessible by train, so big city nights and shopping trips are in easy reach if you want to!

If you haven’t had chance to visit us yet, you may find it useful to check out both the universities that you are interested in so you get a feel to whether Sheffield or Huddersfield would be right for you.

Have you had a chance to visit yet? What is the course you would be studying at Huddersfield? Can we help with any information about modules or course structure?

Ask us anything :]
Rachel
UOH

Ps. The Lonely Planet Guide on Huddersfield is a good read as it will also show you some of the local landmarks and great events which would be on your doorstep - http://issuu.com/universityofhuddersfield/docs/lonely_planet?e=22417282/57486660

Hey!

You've had some helpful replies here already, but I thought I'd give you a bit more information too.

Have you been to any open days? The next one at Sheffield Hallam is June 9th. Open days were a really helpful part of the university applications for me; personally, I don't think I would've been able to choose where to live if I hadn't have visited universities, as they gave me a real sense of the atmosphere of the university, the enthusiasm of the staff, and the feel of the city itself. I know you said you're worried about Sheffield being a city and that you aren't used to that, but Sheffield isn't one of the bigger cities and it has a really tight community to it that I think would be great if you wanted to take a small step out of your comfort zone. I've never found myself getting lost or anything here, despite there being lots to explore. There are also some really nice green spaces within the city which make it feel less daunting and more relaxed. There are also many independent shops, cafes and restaurants which give the city a more authentic and homely feel once you settle in. There's a page on the SHU website about what's going on in Sheffield, I'd recommend looking at it!

I also agree that the course is probably one of the most important things to look at here. Even with the same course title, modules and perspectives on different topics can differ. One might be more practical than the other, or have a module choice that you think you'd be really interested in. It's also something to discuss on an open day if you haven't already!

A while back I wrote this post about making a firm choice, I'm not sure if it'll be helpful when you have two specific universities in mind, but give it a read if you can!

Meanwhile, I'm a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, so if you have any questions about what it's been like to move here (from a much smaller city), or anything else about the university, please feel free to let me know!

Ellie :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Chandni @hallamstudents

Thanks a lot for your help. I love the fact Sheffield has tons of things to do as a student, but I also like how much smaller and quaint Huddersfield looks. It is a town too, and as I currently live in a town I would probably settle in quicker if I were to move to Huddersfield. On the other hand, I want to step out of my comfort zone and move to a city, which is why I’m struggling to choose between Huddersfield and Sheffield. If I did study at Sheffield Hallam University, my course would be Performance for Stage and Screen BA. University of Huddersfield has more societies I think, but I want to live in a place where I’m gonna be happy for the next three years, and also somewhere where there will be lots to do 🤔

Hi again!

Sheffield is a big city but it doesn't feel like one. You can walk absolutely everywhere and you feel a sense of community, it is a student central city. It might be good to step out of your comfort zone. Have you been for an open day yet? We have one coming up on the 9th of June and I will be there, you can follow our snap chat for more updates and for an overview of the say its sheffhallamuni. Hallam does have a lot of societies to offer, including performance, singing groups and dance groups. I am on the committee for the Salsa Society. Have a look on our students union page for what's available :
https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/get_involved/societies/
Haha I have just found the link to the page for you and my face is actually on it, I am the furthest girl to the right on the banner.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Chandni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending