The Student Room Group

Struggling to make a choice for my insurance!

Would really appreciate some help from some fellow TSRs!! I've applied to Law and got an offer for all 5 of my choices, with some being Law with French Law or providing the option to apply for a year abroad in 2nd year.

(For A-Levels I do Pre-U History, Pre-U English, GPR, and French A-Level. It's looking very unlikely that I'll get an A in French)

My firm is going to be Oxford, which is AAA for Law with French Law.

My insurance choices are a struggle between:
LSE: A*AA - Law, apply for year abroad in 2nd year
+prestigious
+London
+good atmosphere
+I love their library
-higher offer than Oxford
-offer does not include GPR, so I have to get an A in French
-will be under construction the whole time I'd study there
-very few places available for the year abroad

KCL: A*AA - Law, apply for year abroad in 2nd year
+prestigious
+London
+love the atmosphere
+nice library
+prefer it over LSE
-higher offer than Oxford
-year abroad is competitive
-I don't think the offer takes GPR but it's hard to tell from the letter

Durham: A*AB-AAA (reduced offer) - Law, apply for year abroad in 2nd year
+I got a reduced offer from them, which I've been told means they like me
+somewhat prestigious though not as much as London
-the A* or A has to be in French
-from about 300+ law students, only about 15 get to go on a year abroad
-does not take GPR
-really far away
? is St Aidan's any good?
-apparently has a terrible nightlife

Leeds: AAA - Law with French Law
+I got an offer 5 days after I sent my application in October, does this mean they like me?
+good uni
+I've been told that if I don't meet my offer they're likely to concede if it's a bit off
+year abroad confirmed
+good nightlife
-not the best area
-bit of a let-down in comparison to Oxford
-quite far away
-career opportunities not as good as my other uni offers

My main query would be whether any of these would happily concede if I don't get an A in French - it's not unheard of.
Also, whilst I mention prestige as a plus, it's more for the fact that I'd prefer to use the university name as an easy ticket for decent (not lucrative) and interesting employment. A big struggle for me is figuring out how much to value this in comparison to the student experience.

Any insightful comments would be extremely helpful, whether it's intuition or experience!
Original post by desaesis

Unfortunately it's not about whether you prefer to use the uni name as a ticket to anywhere, it's about whether employers care about uni name and in most cases they don't. They will focus more on what you have studied, your grades and your w/e. I see no mention of how the courses compare at each of these places. Unfortunately you can't add the library as a plus on your degree!

It looks like you're not keen on Leeds so if I were you I'd pick my favourite course between LSE and KCL and put Durham as insurance due to the reduced offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending