The Student Room Group

Low Iron

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etomidate
You don’t know anything about the posters symptoms beyond a brief sentence, nor do you know their demographics, previous medical history, medications or lifestyle.

Also advising someone not to use an emergency out out of hours system for a chronic condition isn’t depriving them of medical care, it’s diverting them to more appropriate services eg waiting for a routine GP appointment.

I think you fail to realise that a provisional diagnosis cannot be treated. Me making a provisional diagnosis is meaningless. I would only be wrongful if I made a provisional diagnosis or a definitive diagnosis without special investigations and advised the patient to take certain medications or make certain changes to her lifestyle that could have side effects.

If you read carefully, you will realise I initially advised the patient to make an appointment with her GP. After she explained that she has tried to do this to no avail, I advised to try 111 so that they can advise her further.

The 111 service will divert the patient to the appropriate service. The people who answer the phone are not doctors or nurses, they are just advisers.

The advisers will then decide after taking a verbal history from the patient, if the patient should be contacted by a doctor or a nurse.
No ones time is being wasted, and no one is being deprived of medical care by the lady calling 111. If she called 999 then that would be wrongful.
Original post by TheRealAdam1
I think you fail to realise that a provisional diagnosis cannot be treated. Me making a provisional diagnosis is meaningless. I would only be wrongful if I made a provisional diagnosis or a definitive diagnosis without special investigations and advised the patient to take certain medications or make certain changes to her lifestyle that could have side effects.

If you read carefully, you will realise I initially advised the patient to make an appointment with her GP. After she explained that she has tried to do this to no avail, I advised to try 111 so that they can advise her further.

The 111 service will divert the patient to the appropriate service. The people who answer the phone are not doctors or nurses, they are just advisers.

The advisers will then decide after taking a verbal history from the patient, if the patient should be contacted by a doctor or a nurse.
No ones time is being wasted, and no one is being deprived of medical care by the lady calling 111. If she called 999 then that would be wrongful.

The advisers will tell OP that it is anon-urgent problem and that she needs to see her GP about it.

OP, you have made a similar thread to this before. Please see your GP. Changing your diet is unlikely to make much of a difference if you are anaemic. You need iron supplements, your GP can prescribe them and they will make you feel better. Whining on a student forum will not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending