The Student Room Group

Tails Does Driving

Howdy :hi:

So learning to drive is something I've been putting off for years. Unfortunately I am extremely old and I never learnt to drive when I was 17 like everybody else does because I grew up in London and there was no point; buses were free! I also couldn't afford it at the time, but now that I'm further along with my university studies and I'm needing to go reasonable distances to go on placements, it's becoming apparent that I can't afford not to learn to drive. I absolutely love cycling but there is a limit to how far I can cycle in a day, and where I live now cycling is actually very dangerous. Not to mention the fact that I don't control the weather and occasionally turning up for a day of work soaked to the skin from rain doesn't give a great impression.

So, here we are! I've set myself the target of passing my test by November, which is when I finish lectures and my course becomes entirely placement based. I think that might be a bit ambitious given that at current I haven't even done my theory test, but I can only try! My previous driving experience is extremely limited. I've driven a JCB (which was automatic so hardly counts :tongue: ) on private land as well as my friend's old truck, also on private land. That wasn't automatic and I had a hard enough time even trying to get from first year into second so, uhhh, I feel like this driving thing might be a bit of an uphill struggle :redface: I feel like cycling has at least given me a better understanding of the rules of the road and a better awareness of people sharing the road with me which is good, but I don't know anybody that's been driving long enough to take me out to practice between lessons so that might slow things down a little.

Anyway, I've broken the whole process down into baby steps to make sure I don't forget anything.

Go to the optician so I can actually legally drive...
Order documents to prove my identity so I can order a license
Order provisional license
Receive provisional license
Book theory test
Study for theory test
Do theory test
Research driving lesson providers, cost etc
Book driving lessons
Have driving lessons!
Book driving test
Sit driving test
Pass driving test!
Get provisional license changed to a full license
Research car insurance options
Research cars
Buy and insure car
I'm freeeeeeeee! :auto:

I think that's about it! If anyone has any sage advice it would be much appreciated :redface:
(edited 5 years ago)
How long did it take you to receive your provisional? :colondollar:

also good luck :hugs:

:auto::run::auto:
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

So learning to drive is something I've been putting off for years. Unfortunately I am extremely old and I never learnt to drive when I was 17 like everybody else does because I grew up in London and there was no point; buses were free! I also couldn't afford it at the time, but now that I'm further along with my university studies and I'm needing to go reasonable distances to go on placements, it's becoming apparent that I can't afford not to learn to drive. I absolutely love cycling but there is a limit to how far I can cycle in a day, where I live now cycling is very dangerous.

So, here we are! I've set myself the target of passing my test by November, which is when I finish lectures and my course becomes entirely placement based. I think that might be a bit ambitious given that at current I haven't even done my theory test, but I can only try! My previous driving experience is extremely limited. I've driven a JCB (which was automatic s hardly counts :tongue: ) on private land as well as my friend's old truck, also on private land. That wasn't automatic and I had a hard enough time even trying to get from first year into second so, uhhh, I feel like this driving thing might be a bit of an uphill struggle :redface: I feel like cycling has at least given me a better understanding of the rules of the road and a better awareness of people sharing the road with me which is good, but I don't know anybody that's been driving long enough to take me out to practice between lessons so that might slow things down a little.

Anyway, I've broken the whole process down into baby steps to make sure I don't forget anything.

Book theory test
Study for theory test
Do theory test
Book driving lessons
Have driving lessons!
Book driving test
Sit driving test
Pass driving test!
Research cars
Buy and insure car

I think that's about it! If anyone has any sage advice it would be much appreciated :redface:

I'm in the same position of not learning to drive at 17. I've found having a really good and understanding instructor really helps. I've learnt on an off but I've had about 15 hours of lessons and learnt everything I need to for my test- I just keep on making simple, really annoying mistakes :redface:

Sending you lots of luck- and make sure you enjoy it :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
How long did it take you to receive your provisional? :colondollar:

also good luck :hugs:

:auto::run::auto:

Thank you!

My license arrived really quickly after I ordered it; less than two weeks IIRC.

Original post by lilGem
I'm in the same position of not learning to drive at 17. I've found having a really good and understanding instructor really helps. I've learnt on an off but I've had about 15 hours of lessons and learnt everything I need to for my test- I just keep on making simple, really annoying mistakes :redface:

Sending you lots of luck- and make sure you enjoy it :smile:

Thank you! Fortunately quite a few people at my university are in the same position, so lots of people I know have recommended/recommended against particular instructors. I think I've found the one I want to use but being the cheapskate I am I want to phone up a few to see if anyone will shave off a few £, even if it's only for the first couple of lessons :tongue:

I hope your driving lessons continue to go well, best of luck for when you take your test! Making really basic mistakes is something that I anticipate doing a lot myself (still do it when I'm cycling :tongue: I accidentally jumped a red light for the first time ever a few months back :eek: I was mortified :eek: ). Hopefully it's just something that will go away with practice!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

So learning to drive is something I've been putting off for years. Unfortunately I am extremely old and I never learnt to drive when I was 17 like everybody else does because I grew up in London and there was no point; buses were free! I also couldn't afford it at the time, but now that I'm further along with my university studies and I'm needing to go reasonable distances to go on placements, it's becoming apparent that I can't afford not to learn to drive. I absolutely love cycling but there is a limit to how far I can cycle in a day, and where I live now cycling is actually very dangerous. Not to mention the fact that I don't control the weather and occasionally turning up for a day of work soaked to the skin from rain doesn't give a great impression.

So, here we are! I've set myself the target of passing my test by November, which is when I finish lectures and my course becomes entirely placement based. I think that might be a bit ambitious given that at current I haven't even done my theory test, but I can only try! My previous driving experience is extremely limited. I've driven a JCB (which was automatic so hardly counts :tongue: ) on private land as well as my friend's old truck, also on private land. That wasn't automatic and I had a hard enough time even trying to get from first year into second so, uhhh, I feel like this driving thing might be a bit of an uphill struggle :redface: I feel like cycling has at least given me a better understanding of the rules of the road and a better awareness of people sharing the road with me which is good, but I don't know anybody that's been driving long enough to take me out to practice between lessons so that might slow things down a little.

Book theory test
Study for theory test
Do theory test
Book driving lessons
Have driving lessons!
Book driving test
Sit driving test
Pass driving test!
Research cars
Buy and insure car

Woooo! Great thread! I'll be making sure to watch this :smile:

If you can try and get as much private practice as you can, but the test in general is a lot easier than it sounds from others :wink:
Subscribing.:yay:
Reply 6
Subbing! Passed my theory first time - with a lot of revision but recently failed my driving test :moon:
Original post by Deyesy
Subbing! Passed my theory first time - with a lot of revision but recently failed my driving test :moon:
Nooooo:sad:

You should make one of these.:teeth:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending