The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to work at McDonalds?

So, now that I'm winging the GCSEs, I need to assess getting a job, so when I fail life and have to work, I can get past working at the cashier.

But I find it difficult to make eye contact, or speak to people.

I'm thinking of applying to McDonalds, and would like to know, if anyone's worked there, approximately how much I have to interact with people, and how I can get over my stigma.

Thanks.
Original post by Fate_299792458
So, now that I'm winging the GCSEs, I need to assess getting a job, so when I fail life and have to work, I can get past working at the cashier.

I'm thinking of applying to McDonalds, and would like to know, if anyone's worked there, approximately how much I have to interact with people, and how I can get over my stigma.

Thanks.

You'd have to interact with people a lot, in most jobs. With McDonald's depending on the job you'll be speaking with colleagues and customers your whole shift. If you have a medical problem with your shyness then you should be able to get help with that, but if you're just uncomfortable with it then honestly the best thing is just to get experience. The more experience you get, the more confidence you will gain.
I have autism, and I've been working at McDonalds for awhile. You'll be okay, promise.

Thanks.

You can start working there as soon as you have officially left school, i.e. at the end of june. Theres nothing stopping you applying a bit before though.
The job does involve talking to people a lot, especially if you are working on tills or drive through, but you do get used to it. As you are trained up and gain confidence in the job, it will start to come more naturally. And practice makes perfect.
I've worked at maccies for 18 months years now... lmao.

Part time job while i do A levels (probably university as well where I could become a manager or something).

Initially I was quite nervous about the social interaction, but you adapt very quickly. The training is easy and you get the hang of it within 2-4 weeks if you have a decent crew trainer.

The job is repetitive, not very engaging and you get treated like a robot however. Just warning you.

Thanks.

Some depressing post, dude

Just work harder and you won't have to face such an underwhelming prospect

Thanks.

I used to work there. This was before all the revamps though and before the new ordering screens were put in. You're going to need to interact with people a lot. Managers, coworkers, and obviously customers. But now that the screens have been put in, the level of interaction has probably gone down, so if you're lucky, you can just be one of those people who puts the order together. You will still have to shout their order number and tell them to 'have a nice day' and ask them if they want sauces. You get used to it as you go along. You'll most likely be quite nervous at first, but it'll all become second nature.
Original post by BTAnonymous
I've worked at maccies for 18 months years now... lmao.

Part time job while i do A levels (probably university as well where I could become a manager or something).

Initially I was quite nervous about the social interaction, but you adapt very quickly. The training is easy and you get the hang of it within 2-4 weeks if you have a decent crew trainer.

The job is repetitive, not very engaging and you get treated like a robot however. Just warning you.

As long as I get cash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original post by Emma:-)
You can start working there as soon as you have officially left school, i.e. at the end of june. Theres nothing stopping you applying a bit before though.
The job does involve talking to people a lot, especially if you are working on tills or drive through, but you do get used to it. As you are trained up and gain confidence in the job, it will start to come more naturally. And practice makes perfect.

Yeah I'm probably gonna work there from June till August, was wanting some cash for PC upgrades so I'm split between scared and looking forward to it haha
As long as I get cash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I'm probably gonna work there from June till August, was wanting some cash for PC upgrades so I'm split between scared and looking forward to it haha

the pay isn't too bad actually, especially when I compare myself to other friends. When I was 16, I was on a base of 5.20 which sound's sh** but if you work a lot, especially during the holidays you get a nice lump of cash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending