The Student Room Group

I didn't apply for uni, can i still get in after my A Level results come out? HELP

Hi all, i'm not sure how it all works!
I did 3 a levels (Media, Product Design and Geography) I dropped geography at the end of AS, as i failed and i saw that IT was being offer for AS (it wasn't offered when i choose my original A levels). So this year i'm doing 2 A levels, and one AS level. So i didn't apply to uni, since i was dropping the subject, but i realise next year is gonna be awful.... i'm gonna be doing just 1 A level for the entire year and i don't really want to pick up another, so i was wondering; is it still possible to apply for uni? even if there are few opportunities, i might be better than my next year!

tl:dr
Can i still get into uni, even if i haven't applied (as i didn't think i would be accepted) and only will have 2 A levels.
Don't know about if you can apply now

But many unis will accept you with 2 A-Levels.

Some lower ranked unis who base offers from UCAS points might I believe if you do well in the two, and there are also foundation years.
Original post by Xient
Hi all, i'm not sure how it all works!
I did 3 a levels (Media, Product Design and Geography) I dropped geography at the end of AS, as i failed and i saw that IT was being offer for AS (it wasn't offered when i choose my original A levels). So this year i'm doing 2 A levels, and one AS level. So i didn't apply to uni, since i was dropping the subject, but i realise next year is gonna be awful.... i'm gonna be doing just 1 A level for the entire year and i don't really want to pick up another, so i was wondering; is it still possible to apply for uni? even if there are few opportunities, i might be better than my next year!

tl:dr
Can i still get into uni, even if i haven't applied (as i didn't think i would be accepted) and only will have 2 A levels.

which degree do you want to do? even with foundation years they might want 3 a levels.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
which degree do you want to do? even with foundation years they might want 3 a levels.

Graphic Design, Marketing, Photography, Logo Design, Film production etc.. Anything to do with graphic design really, i was looking at Bristol (they need 120–96 UCAS Tariff points). I'm expected to get two A's in my A levels, with a B in the AS ICT.
Original post by Xient
Graphic Design, Marketing, Photography, Logo Design, Film production etc.. Anything to do with graphic design really, i was looking at Bristol (they need 120–96 UCAS Tariff points). I'm expected to get two A's in my A levels, with a B in the AS ICT.

if you mean uwe then could be worth calling and seeing if they have places left as it does seem they are happy with taking your as points as not everywhere will.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
if you mean uwe then could be worth calling and seeing if they have places left as it does seem they are happy with taking your as points as not everywhere will.

I also have a strong portfolio (comments of teachers and people i know who have gotten unconditional in graphic design) so i was also thinking that it might help as most of the courses use this as a big part of the applying process.
Do you think it would be best to contact ASAP, or after i have gotten my A level results? (sorry if this is a stupid question lol, just wanted to be clear on it)
Original post by Xient
I also have a strong portfolio (comments of teachers and people i know who have gotten unconditional in graphic design) so i was also thinking that it might help as most of the courses use this as a big part of the applying process.
Do you think it would be best to contact ASAP, or after i have gotten my A level results? (sorry if this is a stupid question lol, just wanted to be clear on it)

contact them asap
Reply 7
hi, i also didnt apply to uni and i am doing two a-levels, the other day i was searching online if i would still need to have a ucas application for 5 unis if i wanted to then accept a place through clearing etc and apparently i do. you can still apply before 30th june with a small chance of a possible place and/or if you apply after 30th you will be put straight into clearing and given a clearing number which is then easier for you to use apparently on results day you'll be prioritised or smth (doubt tht tho)
it might be worth givibg a ring here
https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/ba-graphic-design/
You should be able to get into a uni that takes the equivalent UCAS points.

A guy at my uni only has 2 A levels but they are both A*s. They got a U in the third because they hated the subject and didn't go to any of the college classes.

Your AS levels should also give you extra UCAS points.
Original post by Xient

Ideally instead of finishing off your AS next year you would be better taking an Art & Design Foundation Diploma (at a local college or university). That will be enough to get in to pretty much any university for Graphic Design and most will accept people with 2 A levels - so it will be a positive choice while also not restricting you to just the universities that are willing to accept you with 2 A levels (and there's no tuition fee in most cases - so you're not paying another £9k for a foundation year).
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 has more information about the courses (although most people take them at a local college).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending