The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It would be very easy to pretend to need the bathroom and then drink from the sink tap :yep:
Fasting is for muslims who have a high level of faith and are in the physical condition that allows them to.
What you have just said is obvs true that people won't like to dehydrate and starve themselves for 18 hrs. Its the fact that muslims do it out of pure belief is the beautiful part.

Wow so many likes got the notification today 26 April 2020.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It would be very easy to pretend to need the bathroom and then drink from the sink tap :yep:

yup aha, been doing that at work. So many muslims work in my office which is a bummer I have to be really cautious
Some people dont have a choice in life and starve for weeks or months. Be greatful like those who fast. (Not saying if u dont fast not greatful)
Original post by bobwibbles
Fasting is for muslims who have a high level of faith and are in the physical condition that allows them to.
What you have just said is obvs true that people won't like to dehydrate and starve themselves for 18 hrs. Its the fact that muslims do it out of pure belief is the beautiful part.

pretty sure they do it so that they won't burn in hell
Im pretending to fast. I’ve been home all day and everytime i try getting to the kitchen for a snack my mum walks in. *sigh*
Original post by Hi_YouAlright?
yup aha, been doing that at work. So many muslims work in my office which is a bummer I have to be really cautious

If they’re your work colleagues could you not be honest about it and say you’re not a Muslim? Or is there a chance they’d tell your family?
Why pretend, aren't you guys supposed to be doing it for God? I took RE a couple years back and they said you guys fast to understand how poor people feel without food and water for whole days and they'd never know when their next meal would.
Making other people think your a 'good person' for fasting or feel sympathy for you when you're really not kinda defeats the whole purpose, but I guess it's up to you.
Original post by The Radiographer
Im pretending to fast. I’ve been home all day and everytime i try getting to the kitchen for a snack my mum walks in. *sigh*

haha! your mum knows whats up.
Original post by Bobobob2012
Why pretend, aren't you guys supposed to be doing it for God? I took RE a couple years back and they said you guys fast to understand how poor people feel without food and water for whole days and they'd never know when their next meal would.
Making other people think your a 'good person' for fasting or feel sympathy for you when you're really not kinda defeats the whole purpose, but I guess it's up to you.

im not a muslim anymore, I have to pretend so that I don't get disowned and rejected by my family. im nearly financially stable and able to carry on at uni whilst staying at my own place, just need a bit more time I guess

its not nice but it is what it is :/
pretty sure they do it so that they won't burn in hell

no honey u got it all twisted.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
If they’re your work colleagues could you not be honest about it and say you’re not a Muslim? Or is there a chance they’d tell your family?

yeah it's far too risky, I plan to tell my family once I have enough money to make it on my own
Original post by emmastone236
no honey u got it all twisted.

Quote from a very reputable Islamic source (https://islamqa.info/en/38747):

Whoever does not fast has abandoned one of the pillars of Islam, and is committing a grave major sin. Indeed some of the salaf were of the view that he is a kaafir [disbeliever] and apostate we seek refuge with Allaah from that.

Abu Ya’la narrated in his Musnad from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The bonds of Islam and the bases of religion are three, on which Islam was founded. Whoever gives up one of them becomes a kaafir thereby and it is permissible to shed his blood: the testimony that there is no god but Allaah, the prescribed prayers and fasting Ramadaan.”

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Dhahabi, and as hasan by al-Haythami in Majma’ al-Zawaa’id, 1/48, and by al-Mundhiri in al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, no. 805, 1486. Classed as da’eef by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah, no. 94.
Quote from a very reputable Islamic source (https://islamqa.info/en/38747):

beautiful surah :smile: it is our duty but doesnt mean all muslims do it to not go hell, theres a lot more to that which u cant see but i respect that. ramadan mubarak regardless
beautiful surah :smile: it is our duty but doesnt mean all muslims do it to not go hell, theres a lot more to that which u cant see but i respect that. ramadan mubarak regardless

yeah the most beautiful part is the line about shedding blood for not fasting, ahh, brings a tear to my eye :frown:
Funny how you're so rude and arrogant to other Muslims about not fasting, like you're superior but you can't even come clean to your family.

How did you read "...it is permissible to shed his blood" and go "ah so beautiful :heart: " jfc how brainwashed
Personally, I would not.

Yeah, it's gonna be hard fasting for eighteen hours but I'll get through it. Plus it's only for a month, and actually really rewarding once you eat when it's time to open the fast in my opinion.
Original post by Bobobob2012

Exactly. I'm Muslim and since I currently cannot fast due to hygienic reasons, I support my family and friends by not eating in front of their faces. It's supposed to make you feel sympathy for the poorer people of this world and help you become a more generous person by giving charity (Zakaat) and not a horrible person who's faking Ramadan which is the holy blessed month of the entire Islamic calendar.

Latest