The Student Room Group

What's Freshers' Week really like?

Title says it all, really. I'm super excited to go to Uni but not knowing anything about Freshers' Week has got me a little apprehensive.

So far all I've heard is that it's essentially 7 days straight of drinking and partying. I'm not against this per se, but I'd hope there's other stuff going on too? Spending every single night out at a club or a bar isn't exactly my idea of a perfect week.😅
Original post by silverben10
Title says it all, really. I'm super excited to go to Uni but not knowing anything about Freshers' Week has got me a little apprehensive.

So far all I've heard is that it's essentially 7 days straight of drinking and partying. I'm not against this per se, but I'd hope there's other stuff going on too? Spending every single night out at a club or a bar isn't exactly my idea of a perfect week.😅

Hey,

It depends on you but also the uni/city you're in. Obviously you can go out every night if you want to - there will probably be enough events - but I've only ever known two people who did this.

In Fresher's week at my uni, the Students' Union puts on loads of events. These are like Fresher's fair (where shops and companies from the city give out free stuff from stalls, it's great), Societies Fair (where you can sign up to societies and see what there is), Sports Fair (same but for sports), and other stuff. I would recommend going to these because they can get your year off to a good start and give you lots of opportunities! They were great to get my flatmates and I outside together for the first time, too.

There might also be other non-drinking events going on. My uni put on an 'alternative fresher's week' last year, where a group planned days out like bowling or trampolining for those who didn't want to just spend the week drinking.

You'll probably be pretty busy if you're moving into a new flat anyway - I explored the city with my flatmates, went food shopping, went out for food a couple of times (with freebies/discounts we got from the freshers fair) and met my coursemates on a course induction day. My advice would to be to invite the people you meet for things like food or exploring the city or general hanging out rather than just drinking, and that'll set your week and year off in the way you want it to.

There might be some events on Facebook you can find in advance, there are usually the general clubbing events on there but it would be worth searching for some others!

Have a great time and make the most of opportunities :smile:

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending