The Student Room Group

I hate Ramadan and don’t want to fast

As you can see by the title. I don’t want to fast.

I don’t see myself as Muslim. Of course if anyone IRL asked me if I’m Muslim I’d say yes. But that’s just because I come from a Muslim family.
I don’t want to be Muslim nor do I like being Muslim but no one knows that.

I also don’t want to tell my parents and family that I’m not Muslim. They probably wouldn’t be violent against me (although I’m not 100% sure) but it’ll bring more trouble than good.
Being Muslim can be good. I do enjoy did and Muslim cultures can be soo beautiful.

I’m a 17 year old male muslim and I hate fasting. Especially since my exams are here I just don’t wanna fast.
Usually I get £5 a day for food but since it’s Ramadan I don’t get any pocket money so I can’t buy any food.
Sometimes I just eat that fruits my school gives out.
The problem is that this week is a holiday and I’m home all day. I can’t risk being caught eating and I can’t go out since I got no money.

I’m not being forced to fast but it’s like a strong stigma to no fast. Also it’s become like a competition with my sibling and I really don’t want to loose. My parents will also make a big deal out of it If I don’t fast. Even worse if I ‘fast’ and they catch me eating/drinking.

I hate Ramadan so much 😣

Scroll to see replies

The real question is Why Aren't You Muslim?
Say you are not well. Pretend to faint every now and then so that they know that you need food.
just spend the whole day revising in the library , then eat/drink whatever u want
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
The real question is Why Aren't You Muslim?

I don’t want to argue or anything.
But I don’t like how restricting Islam is.
Also, every single country in the world that has a Islamic government is very repressive and violent so it makes me think that somethings wrong.

Also there’s the problem of evil. Why would an all loving god let people go to hell.
Tbh I don’t think the Muslim God or should I say the Abrahamic God is a very nice person. He is narcissistic (as he constantly wants people to pray to him and love him) and he is very violent (mostly talking about all the terrible stuff the god does in the old testament.

I like to think that God should be all loving and kind. That is the kind of God I would look up to. The god Muslims look up to is just not that.
Why would I look up to someone I don’t like. Also for a lot of Muslims. The only reason they pray and do all the Muslim stuff is because they are scared of god and what he’ll do to them in the afterlife. God-fearing is not a good thing. I should love God not fear him and yet in Islam these are the same thing.

Lol this has turnt into a rant.
Reply 5
Its rlly not that hard to fast lmao stop being a p'ssy
I relate so much.Im a 16 year old Muslim girl I’m not a fan of the actual religion.My parents don’t expect me or force me to wear a hijab.I am allowed to wear normal clothes like ripped jeans and tshirts.But when it comes to shorts it’s a no.That is not the only reason why I have a huge dislike for my religion but yeah.Im not fasting either which is a bonus because how am I supposed to fast and revise for my GCSEs with no energy whatsoever.I suggest you just pretend to fast, if your hearts not in it then don’t fast,either tell your parents or secretly eat.My little brother is really begging i5 to my parents by fast like everyday.like seriously.idk if that helped.
Please just don't fast if you don't want to. You say they're not forcing you to.
Original post by Rhiaaaaa

lol even a female can fast, you're just such a p'ssy OP
I respect that you feel that this is the direction you want to take and I don't intend for my opinion to influence yours but I would like to say that the Islam I know is very different to what most people today perceive it as. Today it is harder to be a Muslim than it has ever been. As a Muslim teen my opinion isn't as educated as what a scholar of professor's may be, therefore seen as less valuable, but : to me, Islam embraces me as a person more than anything ever has. I feel at peace, I'm content, all my "problem" are just uncompleted tasks and life has never been so good. A few months ago I was "fake praying" and throwing the word Muslim around like it meant nothing. Today I am proud of my internal strength, I'm proud of my faith and my love for God. I can't tell you how many times in the past months I prayed without meaning, I cried throughout prayer asking for a feeling, an answer, some sort of sign. I felt nothing. One day I was watching TV, I jumped up and I felt that something, I couldn't describe what is was but I knew I had to do something. I started reading Quran and quickly developed a meaningful relationship with God, my prayers on some days feel empty and on other days bring me to tears. I'm crying now as I write this, but I hope that you seek refuge one day in Islam, please do not let present struggles cost you. I wish you all the best in whatever decisions you make.:smile:
Original post by Rhiaaaaa

Lol. Ok it’s not hard to fast. But the fact is I don’t want to fast. Especially when I’m revising. Personally I revise best when I don’t have an empty stomach.
just try and fast,the first day is always hard but you will get used to it, its really not that difficult.The only thing that matters is that you at-least tried at the end of the day.
But when it comes to shorts it’s a no.That is not the only reason why I have a huge dislike for my religion

With all due respect, were you a fan of the religion to begin with if something so minor is making you have a dislike for the religon?
lol even a female can fast, you're just such a p'ssy OP

The fact that you said even a female can fast strengthens my resolve to stay away from Islam. I don’t know what’s wrong with a lot of Muslims but misogyny seems to be ingrained into them.

I can fast. But the fact is I do not want to. I like eating and drinking and don’t want some religion to take these joys away from me.
Also, another reason I don’t want to fast is because I have exams and revision is better when I’m not empty.
Keep your rude comments to yourself next time.

Islam is a beautiful religion and people like you are giving it a bad name.
Shame on you!
I literally don't understand why would God wants us to starve ourselves...I'm extremely skinny and weak and I have to fast to be accepted. I just don't get the point. It's like torture for me. I hate fasting, as I'm growing up I've started to question myself about my religion. It's very restricting I just wanna be out but I can't.
I completely agree with you. If you think logically, why would a God that loves you ask you to stay hungry and thirsty all day? Do we need to fast in order to feel compassion for others? To keep our evil deeds in check? I certainly don't. But voicing these opinions just lead to drama.
Original post by ZeeShineStorm
I completely agree with you. If you think logically, why would a God that loves you ask you to stay hungry and thirsty all day? Do we need to fast in order to feel compassion for others? To keep our evil deeds in check? I certainly don't. But voicing these opinions just lead to drama.

You do it for your own piety. Testes your own strength and faith.

Allah doesn’t need our fasting he’s not dependent upon us. Therefore you got flawed logic in stating that we fast for Allah. We fast for our ego, our own self.

If you can’t fathom that you won’t possibly understand the basis behind the concept of Ramadhaan itself.
Reply 17
Young man. I am much older than you but I have only been fasting for the past 18 years as that is when I have started practising Islam. I'm not fully into it.. But I always fast during the month of Ramadan so I test my strength, like you I have been tempted so many times to break the fast halfway, but I also keep testing myself I prove to me that I am strong. Fasting is one of the hardest hings you'll ever be able to do.,not only phisicaly but most important of all, mentally. Not fasting is so easy... But the real test bigger than A levels is the ability to observe fast. Don't give up, prove to yourself that you can actually do this. Good luck.
Huh if a person does not agree with religion and doesn't feel like doing it, why then? Since when the religion is a must whatsoever?
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the afternoons, and during the last hours of the nights. " (See Fath-ul-Bari, Page 102, Vol 1).
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending