The Student Room Group

Car Insurance and Gap Year

So I need to renew my car insurance soon and I'm most likely going to be taking a gap year next year. My current insurance company (with a black box) has given me a quote of something like £800 if I pay all at once. But this has my occupation as a student and after going on price comparison sites my quote goes up to £2000 if I'm unemployed or at an entry-level job. What should I do? If you change occupation midway through a policy do you have to pay the difference or just the amendment charges? Technically I'm still a student until August and I still don't know if I am going to uni (grades and all that). Should I phone up and tell them about my situation? My fear with that is that they will just up the price. I'm a safe driver and they know this. Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I need to renew my car insurance soon and I'm most likely going to be taking a gap year next year. My current insurance company (with a black box) has given me a quote of something like £800 if I pay all at once. But this has my occupation as a student and after going on price comparison sites my quote goes up to £2000 if I'm unemployed or at an entry-level job. What should I do? If you change occupation midway through a policy do you have to pay the difference or just the amendment charges? Technically I'm still a student until August and I still don't know if I am going to uni (grades and all that). Should I phone up and tell them about my situation? My fear with that is that they will just up the price. I'm a safe driver and they know this. Thanks for any help.

If you're not going to be a student, don't tell them you're going to be a student; it's fraud.
So find a different insurer that'll probably bring that price back down with your TRUTHFUL occupation, not just your "technical" one. Renewals don't always give the best price and in many cases they simply don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending