The Student Room Group

Bullying of student nurses and Midwives

I have been made aware that it can be a tough rite of passage for young nurses and midwives during placements. My daughter has been shouted at and publicly ridiculed by older midwives for no real reason and then accused of things she hasn't done. When she questioned this she was basically ignored because the midwives were old colleagues of senior staff running the course.
Apparently if you make any complaints about the way you are treated it is made clear to you that your chance of a local job could be affected.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem? I am not going to name the university concerned but I would be interested to hear from any other victims of this institutionalised bullying.
That’s not good.
Reply 2
Just FYI that is not the norm, nor is it acceptable. There are teams in place to support your daughter through this.
Regards getting a job there- why would she want to work with people like that? Bullying must be reported. Its actually in the NMC code of conduct to support collegues and help students so...
Yeah she needs to speak up.
I know its not easy, i whistle blew myself and its a struggle but look at mid staffs.
One of my daughters is a nurse. She never experienced bullying in training, so not the norm.
Her university and placement trust will both have policies to deal with this sort of behaviour. It might be worthwhile approaching the students union or RCM if she’s a member and asking for advice and guidance.
Original post by Seamus123
One of my daughters is a nurse. She never experienced bullying in training, so not the norm.

While it shouldn’t be the norm, I’ve seen a lot of places where students and new nurses are treated by ****, purely on the virtue that they’re students/newbies.
Original post by moonkatt
While it shouldn’t be the norm, I’ve seen a lot of places where students and new nurses are treated by ****, purely on the virtue that they’re students/newbies.

I’m pleased to say that my daughter isn’t like that. She is a Senior Ward Sister on Cardiac Ward at my local hospital. A lot of the student nurses on her ward are Eastern European and one or two have left their families in their own countries and she is very supportive of them.
Reply 7
Original post by Daft Old Fart
I have been made aware that it can be a tough rite of passage for young nurses and midwives during placements. My daughter has been shouted at and publicly ridiculed by older midwives for no real reason and then accused of things she hasn't done. When she questioned this she was basically ignored because the midwives were old colleagues of senior staff running the course.
Apparently if you make any complaints about the way you are treated it is made clear to you that your chance of a local job could be affected.
Has anyone experienced this sort of problem? I am not going to name the university concerned but I would be interested to hear from any other victims of this institutionalised bullying.

Hi, we ie my daughter is going through the same thing at the moment. She is on her 3rd last year and for the 3 years they have knocked her confidence down so badly ,she has had to seek mental health advice and put on antidepressants. They have shouted at her in front of the patient and family's. She is a shell of her self and I am really worried for her. She has gave her all and it is never good enough. 🥹
Sometimes "older" staff have their own way of working, its not wrong, but can be a bit challenging to adapt to. Please encourage your daughter to speak to her link lecturer, or personal tutor about this matter. She can also arrange a discussion with the practice education team at the trust she is attending. This is a panel of nurse educators that directly support students being successful.
Reply 9
Original post by Davenursing
Sometimes "older" staff have their own way of working, its not wrong, but can be a bit challenging to adapt to. Please encourage your daughter to speak to her link lecturer, or personal tutor about this matter. She can also arrange a discussion with the practice education team at the trust she is attending. This is a panel of nurse educators that directly support students being successful.

Thank you, I will pass your message on .

Latest

Trending

Trending