The Student Room Group

Applying to Midwifery 2019!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LorRos3
I'm 1/4 of my way through an access to HE course in midwifery about to start attending open days within the next couple of weeks. Finding it really hard to get experience in relevent areas. Any advice? Thanks

how are you finding the access course? where are you studying it? i have friends that got onto the course without having any experience (one used to work in a petrol station and applied and got on, we were so shocked) so dont worry about not having experience as i think being mature and you can count life experience and customer focused roles as experience! :smile:
Reply 21
I study it online with the learning curve group it's very intense maybe more for me as I work full time aslwell but still fine the time to get everything in ahead of the deadline. Thanks I don't think I need to get experience the hospital closest to me accomadates student midwives from one of the unis I want to attend so it is actually impossible to get volunteer work! When I spoke to one of the admissions staff at uni who is also head of the midwifery course she said it was more about what skills you have learnt and developed rather than the actual place you got the experience from.
Original post by LorRos3
I study it online with the learning curve group it's very intense maybe more for me as I work full time aslwell but still fine the time to get everything in ahead of the deadline. Thanks I don't think I need to get experience the hospital closest to me accomadates student midwives from one of the unis I want to attend so it is actually impossible to get volunteer work! When I spoke to one of the admissions staff at uni who is also head of the midwifery course she said it was more about what skills you have learnt and developed rather than the actual place you got the experience from.

Hi im also studying my Nursing/Midwifery access through learning curve group.
in regards to experience im a medical secretary and I have an interview in 2 weeks for a volunteer ward helper in St Giles hospice.

have you found it really hard to get a response from tutors on your access course?
Leanne x
Hi ladies! I noticed it’s been a while since anyone said anything on this so I thought I would try and get some conversation going lol. How are your access courses coming along? Are you enjoying them? I have done a couple of online midwifery courses recently and I’ve loved them! I just really feel like I need to do this lol. I finished my breastfeeding course 6 weeks ago and I’m still waiting to hear back about my results before I can get volunteering. I really loved doing it and can’t wait to get started. Going to an open day at the uni I’m applying to next month too to see if there’s anything they might mention that I could add into my personal statement. How are your statements coming along too? I’ve pretty much finished mine but I keep tweaking and changed it. Just want to make sure it’s spot on this time before I submit it x
I'm applying this year for Sept 2019 entry too. Terri I'm similar to you and pinning all my hopes on one uni too (also in Scotland!), I've never applied for Midwifery before and I'm so impatient/excite/nervous to apply and hear back but I'm holding off until I've completed a bit more work / volunteering experience, eeek! x
Original post by hagface_xo
I'm applying this year for Sept 2019 entry too. Terri I'm similar to you and pinning all my hopes on one uni too (also in Scotland!), I've never applied for Midwifery before and I'm so impatient/excite/nervous to apply and hear back but I'm holding off until I've completed a bit more work / volunteering experience, eeek! x

It is such an emotional experience haha! Best of luck to u! What uni u applying to? Have u got some work experience lined up? I would defo say ur doing the right thing holding off applying until you have something to write about coz it’ll really help ur chances 😊 x
Original post by Terri1990
It is such an emotional experience haha! Best of luck to u! What uni u applying to? Have u got some work experience lined up? I would defo say ur doing the right thing holding off applying until you have something to write about coz it’ll really help ur chances 😊 x

Aw it totally is! I’m sure I didn’t feel this strongly when I applied for uni while I was still at school haha! I’m applying to Napier, it’s the only commutable distance for me. I’m starting my training tomorrow to volunteer with home startup be a befriended for families needing some extra support, I’ve got hospital and community work experience lined up for October and I’ve contacted my local NCT to see if I can help out at any breastfeeding or antenatal groups so fingers crossed it’s enough!! Are you getting anyone to read over your personal statement before you apply? X
Original post by hagface_xo
Aw it totally is! I’m sure I didn’t feel this strongly when I applied for uni while I was still at school haha! I’m applying to Napier, it’s the only commutable distance for me. I’m starting my training tomorrow to volunteer with home startup be a befriended for families needing some extra support, I’ve got hospital and community work experience lined up for October and I’ve contacted my local NCT to see if I can help out at any breastfeeding or antenatal groups so fingers crossed it’s enough!! Are you getting anyone to read over your personal statement before you apply? X

Oh that sounds like fab experience! I’m sure it’ll defo make your application stand out. Yeh me too lol! First time applying to uni I was much calmer than I am now! Probably because at the time I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life so I just picked something whereas now I’m so sure about this. I’ve just completed my breastfeeding peer support training with NCT and I absolutely loved it. I want someone to read it overcbut I don’t really know anyone who I think could help me lol 🤔 r you getting someone to read urs over? X
Original post by Terri1990
Oh that sounds like fab experience! I’m sure it’ll defo make your application stand out. Yeh me too lol! First time applying to uni I was much calmer than I am now! Probably because at the time I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life so I just picked something whereas now I’m so sure about this. I’ve just completed my breastfeeding peer support training with NCT and I absolutely loved it. I want someone to read it overcbut I don’t really know anyone who I think could help me lol 🤔 r you getting someone to read urs over? X

Aw that sounds fab! I looked at their breastfeeding counsellor course but I hadn’t realised it was a full time uni thing! The peer support role sounds great!! I’m hoping to but I’m not really sure who to ask, my friends mum used to be a midwife so I might ask her and I might see if my dad will proof read for spelling/grammar but I’m not sure if they’d be willing / the right people for the job.
Hi, I won’t be applying for midwifery but for child nursing at those same places :smile:
Original post by SophieHounsell
Who's applying to midwifery when UCAS opens for 2019/20 cycle?

I am applying to
*Plymouth
*Bournemouth
*UWE Bristol

I am 21 and I have my GCSE English Language exam on the 5th and 8th of June :s-smilie: soooo nervous....

So far my work experiences includes
~1 week in maternity
~1 week in clinical
~Volunteering in a charity shop
* and also applied to be a hospital volunteer

and I am planning to start access to midwifery soon with DLC (distance learning centre)

loved to hear from other aspiring midwives on this journey :smile::bubbles::suith::suith:

Hey Sophie, I've applied for Jan 2020 for Midwifery at UWE. I have a degree in Psychology, graduated in 2013. Have you applied already through UCAS? Anyone know when to expect to hear back?? Good luck xx
Original post by SophieHounsell
Who's applying to midwifery when UCAS opens for 2019/20 cycle?

I am applying to
*Plymouth
*Bournemouth
*UWE Bristol

I am 21 and I have my GCSE English Language exam on the 5th and 8th of June :s-smilie: soooo nervous....

So far my work experiences includes
~1 week in maternity
~1 week in clinical
~Volunteering in a charity shop
* and also applied to be a hospital volunteer

and I am planning to start access to midwifery soon with DLC (distance learning centre)

loved to hear from other aspiring midwives on this journey :smile::bubbles::suith::suith:

Hello,

I will be applying to UWE, Worcester, Bournemouth, OBU and USW :smile: how are you finding the distance learning access?
How are all your applications coming along? I've had a welcome email from UWE so i am expecting to hear back hopefully soon if i have an interview!
Hi everyone, I have applied for Greenwich, King's, Kingston, Middlesex and City. Sent my application on Friday and am already desperate to hear back!

Anybody else applied to any of these unis?
Hi. I’m applying to midwifery for 2019. Going to apply to city university, Middlesex university, London south bank and the others.
Original post by jlovesmusic
Hi everyone, I have applied for Greenwich, King's, Kingston, Middlesex and City. Sent my application on Friday and am already desperate to hear back!

Anybody else applied to any of these unis?

I applied to UWE and i sent mine 10th Sept and i'm dying to hear back, it's been a long old month! I think mine is with the programme leaders so i should hear back any time now if i have an interview. Have you applied before or is this your first cycle?
Original post by DanMacDonald_
I applied to UWE and i sent mine 10th Sept and i'm dying to hear back, it's been a long old month! I think mine is with the programme leaders so i should hear back any time now if i have an interview. Have you applied before or is this your first cycle?

Ahh yes the wait is awful. No doubt you should hear back soon if it is with the programme leaders!

I actually started a midwifery degree 2014 but left in the first week as I found out I was pregnant with my second and they did not let me defer. So not my first cycle but it has been a few years since I went through this process of applying, waiting for responses etc...

How about you? And is it just the one uni you applied for?
I have a pre-selection day at Greenwich next week. Seems to just be numeracy test and presentation programme, then if passed an invite to interview.

Greenwich is my first choice so very excited but nervous for maths. Haven't done maths since secondary school over 11 years ago... need to try and cram some revision over the next week.

Anyone else with Greenwich as a first choice?
Hi guys, my UCAS got sent off last Friday and I have already been asked to interviews from Surrey and Hertfordshire
university in November and Anglia Ruskin university in December. Do a high percentage of applicants get interviews or is it normal for a wide range of people to get interviews for midwifery? I am very very nervous and any advice would be very appreciated right not haha. Has anyone else got any interviews/offers yet? xoxo
Original post by AliceMay001
Hi guys, my UCAS got sent off last Friday and I have already been asked to interviews from Surrey and Hertfordshire
university in November and Anglia Ruskin university in December. Do a high percentage of applicants get interviews or is it normal for a wide range of people to get interviews for midwifery? I am very very nervous and any advice would be very appreciated right not haha. Has anyone else got any interviews/offers yet? xoxo

If your PS meets their criteria then you will be invited to interview, I would say quite a lot of people do get interviews or tests as selection days are always busy...

Not sure about those uni's - different ones will have different interview styles. Do you know if it will be MMI style or one on one interview?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending