The Student Room Group

Is £24.50 a night expensive for summer university accommodation?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to stay at my university over the summer for about 6-8 weeks to work on soma academic commitments for this year, as I am worried that home circumstances may affect my progress in them (I have Aspergers and really, the worry about this is unbearable).

I asked for the price, and was told that it was £24.50 per night, which works out at over £170 per week - bed only.

Is this an average/reasonable price for bed only? Would it be reasonable to request a discount per night, given that I would be staying for around 60 days?

I am sort of stuck, as I really feel that I need to work on my academic work away from home this summer, however, due to the nature of my disability, private ranting/sharing is far to worrying for me. I could only really work on the projects away from home if I was staying in university accommodation. However, if the price is too high and can't afford it, I will have to return home during a very difficult family time and risk under-performing/failing my projects.

Are there any other options available to me? Please could you advise me - I am really worried about this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please can someone advise me - I am so worried about this.
Reply 2
Please can someone advise me - I am so worried about this...
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I am looking to stay at my university over the summer for about 6-8 weeks to work on soma academic commitments for this year, as I am worried that home circumstances may affect my progress in them (I have Aspergers and really, the worry about this is unbearable).

I asked for the price, and was told that it was £24.50 per night, which works out at over £170 per week - bed only.

Is this an average/reasonable price for bed only? Would it be reasonable to request a discount per night, given that I would be staying for around 60 days?

I am sort of stuck, as I really feel that I need to work on my academic work away from home this summer, however, due to the nature of my disability, private ranting/sharing is far to worrying for me. I could only really work on the projects away from home if I was staying in university accommodation. However, if the price is too high and can't afford it, I will have to return home during a very difficult family time and risk under-performing/failing my projects.

Are there any other options available to me? Please could you advise me - I am really worried about this.

I mean, mine is like £210 a week, vs yours which is £171.5.

It's a fine price
Reply 4
I am a current student at this university. My parents are on very low incomes and I have declared disabilities.
Reply 5
Can you not look at cheaper private accomodation for the 2 months? our maybe see if your university has cheaper dorms/accomodation? Can I ask what uni you go to? or the general area, might be able to do a quick search for you
Well how much do you normally pay then?
Reply 7
Original post by MikeyA
Can you not look at cheaper private accomodation for the 2 months? our maybe see if your university has cheaper dorms/accomodation? Can I ask what uni you go to? or the general area, might be able to do a quick search for you

Thanks. I am in the North East.
Reply 8
It's normally about £21 per night, but that's fully catered too. I receive a grant due to the fact that my parents are on low incomes. Otherwise this would be higher.

Original post by AzureCeleste
Well how much do you normally pay then?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
It's normally about £21 per night, but that's fully catered too. I receive a grant due to the fact that my parents are on low incomes. Otherwise this would be higher.

Could you potentially mention that to your uni?
Reply 11
that's a tad too wide a search, but yh, search private because I assume that you wouldn't need a lot of access to uni property eg library, but if do it won't be far away. Also, I'm going northeast (NCL) so I know that north is fairly affordable, £24.50 a night for 60 days is just under £1500, let alone food and other stuff.

I'm hoping that you're in a en-suite super big room or something in which case the easiest would just be to ask to be moved to a cheaper room 😂😉 good luck with everything
Original post by AzureCeleste
Could you potentially mention that to your uni?

I will try to mention it - I just get so worried about speaking about these type of things. Its a trait of my Aspergers. I get so nervous about talking about financial issues, or how difficult my home circumstances are. Also, the £24.50 per night is for a standard room, whereas I am currently in an ensuite.

The only reason I have academic commitments this late in the academic year is having to put them off until now due to disability/medical related reasons.

The uni also know about some of the difficult circumstances at home.

Can the uni offer any help in these circumstances - such as discounting the accommodation a bit?

For a 62 night stay, £24.50 per night is just so expensive of there is no long stay discount. Its about £1519. I would really struggle with that, considering that I would still have to purchase all of my food and do my laundry etc.
Original post by MikeyA
that's a tad too wide a search, but yh, search private because I assume that you wouldn't need a lot of access to uni property eg library, but if do it won't be far away. Also, I'm going northeast (NCL) so I know that north is fairly affordable, £24.50 a night for 60 days is just under £1500, let alone food and other stuff.

I'm hoping that you're in a en-suite super big room or something in which case the easiest would just be to ask to be moved to a cheaper room 😂😉 good luck with everything

Thank you very much! It's near to Newcastle - I just worry about writing it publicly on here. £1500 for bed only id just so expensive, and I would struggle with that.

I am actually paying less than £24.50 per night for the fully-catered ensuite I am in now. I get help in term time with grants and disability support - as my parents are on a low income and I need an ensuite room due to disability reasons.

The £24.50 per night is for a standard (non-ensuite) room. I think I would break down if they told me the cost for an ensuite!

Are there any places that would do two month rents? I worry a lot about private renting as I am a bit vulnerable due to my Aspergers. This is why I can only live away from home this summer if I am in uni accommodation. :/
I am so worried about this...
Look around.

I stayed one summer and paid £35 per week. I was in a very cheap town but my accommodation only charged 50% of normal rent over summer as very few were there. I did negotiate for that though it wasn't their first offer.
Original post by doodle_333
Look around.

I stayed one summer and paid £35 per week. I was in a very cheap town but my accommodation only charged 50% of normal rent over summer as very few were there. I did negotiate for that though it wasn't their first offer.

Thanks! How did you manage to negotiate it? I have Aspergers and am just so worried about trying to negotiate it - I have no idea how to and just think that they will say 'no' or look down on me for asking for a reduction.
I am really worried about this. :frown:
The worst they will say is no if you try and negotiate and then fair enough, you did you best. You can continue to search around for other places of accomodation to. It's worth trying to negotiate-explaining the circumstances will help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending