The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

university of kent - best accommodation for business student?

where's the best place to live at ukc for a student taking marketing classes? thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
where's the best place to live at ukc for a student taking marketing classes? thanks!

Hi there,

I hope you're keeping well! :smile:

The subject of accommodation differs quite a lot depending on your own circumstances and preferences, however in my experience, I would narrow it down to essentially Price, Preferences, Location, and Moderate Living.

Price - Pretty self-explanatory, the cheapest accommodation tends to be about ~£120 a week, whereas the most expensive can go for ~£240 the last time I checked.
Preferences - Obviously everyone wants the cheapest room if they can afford it, meaning that the more expensive rooms tend to include more inventories, such as en-suite bathrooms, meal flex plans, or greater space / privacy (I mean privacy in the sense of not sharing a twin bedroom).
Location - The different accommodations within the University are all typically ~10mins walk from anywhere in campus, however some locations such as Keynes are closer to the centre of the University than others, such as Parkwoods. This in and of itself, is not really such a big deal when comparing University accommodation, however I do believe it is an important factor to consider if you are to move out during your 2nd year.
Moderate Living - If you sign up for Moderate Living, you'll be paired in your accommodation with other students who have also chosen this option, and this means that you'll all have collectively agreed to not be loud and cause disturbances, and as such, not cause too much "disruption" by partying - but means you'll also have more quieter and peaceful nights. Moderate Living does not affect the price you pay for your accommodation, but I do believe it's an important factor to consider when choosing your accommodation.

As an ambassador, I can confidently tell yout that Parkwood accommodation tends to be a very popular (if not the most popular) choice due to being cheaper, and tending to host more parties, all whilst still being connected to the bus services. Plus, it has its own coop and restaurant (Woody's), which is a convenient, cozy place to meet up and hang out. I know many of my friends and peers studying everything from Economics to Physics who live there, so I doubt you'll feel out of place :smile:.
Others however, aren't too interested in shared facilites, or partying too much, and would rather choose a moderate living accommodation close to the library, such as in Keynes or Darwin, and are fine for paying a bit more to have their own bathroom or bed-and-flex plan. Again, it's really a matter of preference and up to you! :biggrin:

I'm sorry this isn't a definitive, concrete answer - but I hope it at least points you in the right direction and can help you to choose the right accommodation for yourself.

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending