The Student Room Group

RAF Medical.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help settle my worries, I'm stressing about my medical for joining the RAF, I used to suffer from IBS and had numerous hospital referrals in the past from my GP, to no avail, however I don't suffer from this very much anymore (fortunately) and it doesn't effect my training or my current work life. But obviously, well I assume, it will still be on my medical records with my doctors, to say that I've had issues in the past, will this affect my application? I know loads of people suffer from this and it doesn't effect day to day lives, and its not serious so do you think it would effect my chances of getting in?

I'm hoping I'm worrying about nothing, I'm such a stress head.

Any advice, from anyone who can help, would be great.
I'm afraid that only an RAF Doctor can make a decision on this sort of thing. However, it would be realistic for you to be prepared for it to be a problem. Don't read everything defensively, read it as if you were about to pay millions of pounds in training, pay and pension costs for a person with this problem, and can you be absolutely certain they will perform, until the age of 55, as well as a person without it? This is what a Doctor will be considering.
Reply 2
Thats what I'm thinking, but although I've seen doctors about it in the past its not something which has ever effected my life or fitness. I don't get any problems with it anymore so I'm really hoping it won't effect my application. I'd be devastated if it meant I was classed as unfit to serve.

There is a medical line you can ring for queries, I came across it on the website, I'll give them a call.

Fingers crossed!
Good luck. I know doctors with it for starters!
happihelen_raf

There is a medical line you can ring for queries, I came across it on the website, I'll give them a call.

Fingers crossed!

I wouldn't bother to be honest - you don't really want an unknown voice at the end of a telephone line to give you a definitive answer, do you? The answer is you have a borderline condition, which only your personal circumstances, in conjunction with current RAF policy, based on current medical knowledge of the condition, and knowledge of the demands of RAF service, will determine whether you can serve or not. Only an RAF Doctor with full visibility of your medical records can say yes or no.
good luck. i think everyone above has covered what advise i would give you really. you will just have to keep yur fingers crossed and hope that they will pass you!

x
Reply 6
I'm not sure if anyone will know this but when they do your medical assessment, does an RAF Doctor get access to your medical records and assess them, as well as you, or do they just get the information from your GP?x
you get them info. but dont be trying to change it haha. think they CAN get records where neccessary x
happihelen_raf
I'm not sure if anyone will know this but when they do your medical assessment, does an RAF Doctor get access to your medical records and assess them, as well as you, or do they just get the information from your GP?x

You should be given a form to pass on to you GP allowing him/her to release your medical records, which will be sent to the RAF. You have the right to see these records as well and there's an option on the form asking if you would like to.

As others have said, don't bother phoning the medical line; it won't make any difference and may just make you feel negative. Put everything you've got into your application and then tackle the issue if/when it arises.
Depends what meds you were given. Usually if they were recent it's a years deferral.
Good advice, no I wasn't thinking about changing them or anything! haha yeah I got the forms to say I give permission for them to be released, I just wasn't quite sure how it worked.

Thanks for all the advice though guys.x
Reply 11
Hi Helen,

I also used to suffer from IBS, I have just received a letter from OASC asking some questions and requesting doctos nots and hospital evaluation etc. They have asked for this as my last trip to the Docs was in 03/05. Luckily my cosultant at the hospital said there wasn't a problem.

The only meds I got for it was a repeat precription of Lopermide which I haven't used, because it doesn't affect me anymore. Anyway I passed the RN aircrew medical board after they looked at my documents (TMU to begin with) so I hope it will be the same for the RAF.

Keep me informed on your case.

Blimy
Blimy, thankyou for that, you've put me at ease as I've been worrying about it alot!
I was speaking to a friend who was in the Navy and he also suffered from this and said it wasn't a problem for him, I really hope it's the same for me.

I was recently referred to a consultant at a hospital to make an appointment but I didn't make one due to it not effecting me any longer, I don't take any medication for it either so I'm praying it's not going to effect my application.

I will keep you informed, Blimy. I have my fingers crossed.
Reply 13
Original post by happihelen_raf
Thats what I'm thinking, but although I've seen doctors about it in the past its not something which has ever effected my life or fitness. I don't get any problems with it anymore so I'm really hoping it won't effect my application. I'd be devastated if it meant I was classed as unfit to serve.

Fingers crossed!

Hi. Was just wondering what the number was that you rang or where to get it please?

Thanks

Also, was you successful in getting in the raf?
She hasn't been on the website in two and a half years. You probably won't get an answer that way.

Why not have a look around the RAF careers website?
Reply 15
Hi I'm ex RN and left after 7 years, I've been left 2 years now and miss and looking at joining the RAF however I've never registered at a doctors since I left as there was no spaces, does anyone know what they do regarding med docs?? X

Quick Reply

Latest