The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which should I choose? Can't decide.

With my accomodation I can't decide between Derwent Standard self-catered for £131 pw and Derwent economy catered for £145 pw

How much a difference is there between the two?
Is the extra worth it for the catered accomodation?
Also which is likely to be the most sociable?

Thanks.
Original post by Dwheatz13
With my accomodation I can't decide between Derwent Standard self-catered for £131 pw and Derwent economy catered for £145 pw

Thanks.

Self catered will give you more of the uni experience of making your own food, budgeting your groceries, etc., and you’ll need this skill later on in life when you’re living by yourself
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Dwheatz13

Thanks.

Maybe you could think about the amount of money you would spend per week (e.g. do you have dietary issues? do you want to buy regional and sustainable food? are you going to oder take-out every other day? etc.) and then compare the prices. Chances are you will also go out to eat even if you are catered for, so take that into account as well :smile:

I think both can be very sociable options: If you choose the catered option, you will eat with other people a lot, get to know them and forge friendships but on the other hand I am sure you will also find friends if you cook for yourself! Maybe you will have to borrow an onion or a pan and can get talking to your neighbors like that :smile:

In the end it depends on you and your preferences. I think it is easier to socialize when you are catered for, as you will be spending meal times with other people but that is just my opinion!

I am sure you will be fine whatever option you choose :smile: good luck! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending