The Student Room Group

GCSE grade requirements for uni

I’m looking into a uni that wants a 5 in maths, but I only have a 4. Would I defiantly not be accepted, or is it worth a go?
Original post by katie091000
I’m looking into a uni that wants a 5 in maths, but I only have a 4. Would I defiantly not be accepted, or is it worth a go?

Which University and course?
Original post by Alexty28
Which University and course?

Well it’s not really a specific uni, it’s just common for uni’s to want a 5 in maths instead of a 4, I’m just not sure if it’s worth applying to any that want a 5. I’m think of doing psychology.

According to most universities a 4 is a low pass and 5 is a high pass, majority take a 5. Although it would mainly depend on thew type of university you're applying to for example London-based want a minimum of a 5 or 6.
Well it’s not really a specific uni, it’s just common for uni’s to want a 5 in maths instead of a 4, I’m just not sure if it’s worth applying to any that want a 5. I’m think of doing psychology.

Psychology involves quite a bit of statistics so basic maths skills are essential and it would be an issue of you were hopeless at maths. They will want you to demonstrate you would be able to cope with it and are unlikely to drop requirements below a 5.

I just wanted to know the Uni because majority ask for a 4 (as it is considered a pass grade).

It's probably because psychology is a science and majority of science courses at Uni require a B in maths, and majority of Unis consider 5/6 a B. You might have a chance depending on your A Level predictions and the subjects you are studying, but some Unis might turn you down just for not having that 5 in maths as that is the minimum requirement.
Original post by sparklegem1
According to most universities a 4 is a low pass and 5 is a high pass, majority take a 5. Although it would mainly depend on thew type of university you're applying to for example London-based want a minimum of a 5 or 6.

It really depends on the Uni. For example UCL has 5 as the equivalent of a pass grade C, while Exeter considers a 5 to be the equivalent of a B.
Original post by Alexty28
I just wanted to know the Uni because majority ask for a 4 (as it is considered a pass grade).

It's probably because psychology is a science and majority of science courses at Uni require a B in maths, and majority of Unis consider 5/6 a B. You might have a chance depending on your A Level predictions and the subjects you are studying, but some Unis might turn you down just for not having that 5 in maths as that is the minimum requirement.

Yeah it’s just difficult really, I’m looking at some uni’s that will take a 4 in maths and I’m doing psychology at A Level anyway. I’m not going to lie, my maths isn’t strong. I’m really confident with English but it’s just a matter of whether or not it would be a waste of time trying to apply to a uni that wants a 5 in maths, when I only have a 4. I hope that makes sense! :smile:
Yeah it’s just difficult really, I’m looking at some uni’s that will take a 4 in maths and I’m doing psychology at A Level anyway. I’m not going to lie, my maths isn’t strong. I’m really confident with English but it’s just a matter of whether or not it would be a waste of time trying to apply to a uni that wants a 5 in maths, when I only have a 4. I hope that makes sense! :smile:

GCSE results in maths and English are often used by universities to weed out candidates to oversubscribed courses. You would therefore probably wasting choices if you apply to courses which require a 5 in Maths.

One approach would be to contact such unis before applying to ask if they would consider you. However, I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending