The Student Room Group

Best passive incomes for 16 yo

I'm 16, want to get into investing but I don't have to finances and I'm not old enough anyway and I mean for mutual funds so long term investing not day trading or margin trading. what are good business related incomes like buying and selling related ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dylan7889
I'm 16, want to get into investing but I don't have to finances and I'm not old enough anyway and I mean for mutual funds so long term investing not day trading or margin trading. what are good business related incomes like buying and selling related ?

English GCSE?
Reply 2
Original post by Quady
English GCSE?

What??
Buy lucozade multi pack and sell them on for £1 each at school. Lol
sell loom bands at school; they're a real hit
Reply 5
What??

Read your question. It's a mess.
Reply 6
Original post by Hazzasufc

That ain't passive income.

That's just income.
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
Read your question. It's a mess.

ohhh yeah, I'm failing English lol But I get 9s in maths and As so in sciences so it's good
Reply 8
Original post by Hazzasufc

next alan sugar
you're too young
Reply 10
Original post by johnny.snow
you're too young

Why?

You can earn passive income from bank interest at any age.
Reply 11
I think he's asking for investment options for idle-growth, I reckon he's been reading a bit too much about the Bitcoin scene.

If we had a golden ticket to know what would be good to invest in that would have progressive growth idling, I'm sure we'd all be rich. Investments require taking risks, you can choose to invest in stocks on the FTSE, you could start your own company, or buy something that may be a collectable that you predict will increase in value as it ages... like wine.

Wrong forum. No one stacking passive income would waste time on a teen study site :smile:
Online. Look at stocks, forex online. Get a summer job anywhere. A job is a job and quit when you got what 2k? Go online with ur parents, join these free groups. Spend a week on demo with a strategy and use the strategy. If you lose you lose but just be resilient. Started trading at 15 and in 1 month I made £4000 in June, August from £250. Enough for a nice holiday in October for the fam and helped pay off some loans. Ended the summer with 1k and going to reinvest this summer as I have more time. Aiming for 20k. And no I don't have any privileged background and forex isnt a get rich quick option. I am lucky that I am good at maths and problem solving. I understand how trends work from youtube videos.
Original post by Quady
Why?

You can earn passive income from bank interest at any age.

at 3% a year? knock yourself out
If I can recall correctly, I have a friend (17/18 at the time), who started a business with no money, other than being gifted with some servers, a domain and a website because he's simply a great guy. He started advertising that he was giving out free servers for people on a game forum (think Minecraft servers). This was simply a strategy to gain customers and recognition (it was very niche so he would have easily gained traction). After a while, he decided to ask for monthly payment from those, who are using his servers. Those who refused had their servers taken away and he quickly found new customers to sell them to. Whilst doing this, he improved upon his product by making it more easier to use (streamlined the process, through programming it - I'm not going in to details) and this caused a huge increase in growth, eventually becoming the top three server providers for this game. His competitors even copied his process. Overtime, it grew to the point, where he was selling many servers to other smaller companies to sell those servers, started doing webhosting and started selling servers for other games. He was earning $200+ (or was it euros?) per month. The company closed down because he didn't want to hire a lawyer to legalise his company - he got a lawsuit because he was making a lot of revenue. I'm not sure if I should mention but, prior to this, he did have a lot of experience working on all sides of this "industry", by working for his competitors, whom he surpassed (one of the top three), as a moderator, advertistor, programmer, recruitor...

You could do that.

Or, you can do what I am doing, which is working part-time, save up and then invest.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Dazeo
I think he's asking for investment options for idle-growth, I reckon he's been reading a bit too much about the Bitcoin scene.

If we had a golden ticket to know what would be good to invest in that would have progressive growth idling, I'm sure we'd all be rich. Investments require taking risks, you can choose to invest in stocks on the FTSE, you could start your own company, or buy something that may be a collectable that you predict will increase in value as it ages... like wine.

no I'm not interested in Bitcoin I think it's too volatile and I don't like big risks, all I want is to raise capital over time so I can invest in low risk options like mutual funds,, index funds and maybe even Inflation bonds or TIPS(treasure issued inflation protected, so would you agree getting a job or even starting a small business would be best ?
Reply 17
Original post by johnny.snow
at 3% a year? knock yourself out

3% if your lucky and then count in inflation and the after tax I'd likely lose money

Apply to be a McDonald's chip fryer before you get to qualified
Reply 19
I'd say you'd be better off saving £50,000 then going all in on black, red, black, red, black for 1.6 million end return. By the law of probability it should be 50% chance each time.

Much better than investing your £4 per hour McDonalds wage into TIPS for the tiniest bit of growth, and also there's no such thing as risk free money so I'm sure even with inflation protected money there's a risk somewhere.

Or you could shove it all in an ISA at like 4.5% AER up to £85,000 (aka hardly any money) but it's still free, and the only risk is if the banks collapse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending