The Student Room Group

Is an out of date passport still usable as ID?

My passport went out of date on the 24th May and I haven't had a chance to renew it. I'm going on holiday with a bunch of my mate and I'm panicking as I don't have any other form of ID. I turned 18 a couple of weeks before it went out of date, and the photo looks like me just quite a bit younger. I've seen other posts where people have said that it is and that it isn't so I'm unsure. The corner hasn't been cut, not sure if that makes a difference. I also don't have enough time to renew it before I go away. All advice is welcome.
Original post by Anonymous
My passport went out of date on the 24th May and I haven't had a chance to renew it. I'm going on holiday with a bunch of my mate and I'm panicking as I don't have any other form of ID. I turned 18 a couple of weeks before it went out of date, and the photo looks like me just quite a bit younger. I've seen other posts where people have said that it is and that it isn't so I'm unsure. The corner hasn't been cut, not sure if that makes a difference. I also don't have enough time to renew it before I go away. All advice is welcome.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Reply 2
No, that's the entire point of an expiration date my friend
Reply 3
Depends on where you are travelling to.

But also you can https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Reply 4
You can get it renewed same-day if you get up to Liverpool and wait for it.
Reply 5
Just realised that I didn't specify where or why I need it. I'm going to Lincolnshire and so I can go to pubs and so on.
Reply 6
Just realised that I didn't specify where or why I need it. I'm going to Lincolnshire and so I can go to pubs and so on.

So that's probably* fine... might have helped to mention that at the outset.

*But not guaranteed. Get it updated. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Randyyy
No, that's the entire point of an expiration date my friend

But that is still you. Expiration on yourself sounds odd.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
But that is still you. Expiration on yourself sounds odd.

The validity of the passport is what expires
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Randyyy
The validness of the passport is what expires

You don't stop being so I don't see why it should become invalid, maybe just update the photo the other information should remain the same.
Original post by Bio 7
You don't stop being so I don't see why it should become invalid, maybe just update the photo the other information should remain the same.

You remaining yourself and the person on the picture is really beside the point. You cannot travel with an expired passport.
If you go and speak to the border customs and they somehow allow you to cross or fly with an expired passport then good on you.

2 quick reasons that may factor in why passports expire are
1. To reduce the amount of forged/stolen passports that are currently out there

2. So that within the maximum timeframe a passport is valid (10 years for example), every passport can be changed and updated. Maybe for example a new line of info needs to be added, or the technology of the passports advance, eg chips are put into the passport
Only valid passports/drivers licenses are meant to be accepted as ID in pubs/clubs (along with any forms of ID that carry the PASS logo). If you're trying to get into/order drinks in a venue that scans your ID (Clubs and also some big chain pubs), it will come up as invalid. That being said, it's often something that bartenders don't bother checking if they are checking your ID by hand, the cut corner certainly won't help though.
(edited 5 years ago)

I use an expired ID card for ID when buying alcohol and it's never been an issue. They look at the DoB, not the expiry date - an expired passport is still proof of your DoB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending